✅ SOLVED Toggle button age and Stopper help.

Alan Payne

Jan 3, 2018
Interlachen, Fl
Detector(s) used
GTP 1350 Garrett ; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I hope everyone is doing well. I was detecting this unassuming turn of the century house about a week ago, my brother and I. we didn't expect to find anything particularly old. Then it happened he found a 1818 Large cent and 8 .436 CAL Musket balls, which from my research is used in a .54 CAL Musket. He also found a Dragoons Cuff button. I found I think 4 .436 Musket balls that day. We went back and found more round balls. Again we went back and found good items. On the fifth time going and searching a 40 ft. x 40 ft. area my brother looked on the ground where the water comes off the roof and digs a trench and found a U.S Great coat button laying on top of the ground. I then found my 1st, second and third Dragoons Cuff Button. My brother then digs a U.S. Great coat Cuff and I dig A U.S. Great Coat myself. We were amazed that we have absolutely pounded this small area and it was still giving thing up. That day I also found a Cap to a Hazards Powder can. Sorry, I got excited reliving that amazing day. Any way all this to ask about two items I found in the same small area to see if they may be Civil War artifacts or not. Before I post pictures of items I would like to ask if someone can give me more insight about the Dragoons Cuff buttons we found. I can't determine if they are civil war or second Seminole war. They say Scovill's on the back and I have seen that Scovill produced Dragoons and Artillery buttons around the Second Seminole war in Florida time frame. 1836-1842. To find all the .436 round balls and the U.S. Great Coat buttons and zero three ringers along with only dragoons buttons. I'm trying to understand if we have stumbled upon a Second Seminole War Camp Site or is this a Civil War Camp site.
Well here are the items in question. CAP TO SOMETHING.jpg BACK OF CAP SEEMS TO BE RUBBER.jpg HINGE OF CAP.jpg Could this cap be the stopper to a powder flask? TOGGLE BUTTON FRONT.jpg LEATHER VISABLE.jpg BACK TOGGLE BUTTON.jpg Back of toggle button looks to me like it says Sampson and the beginning of Bros. It also looks like some of the letters are broken off. Thank you all for reading this long post and helping me date the unexpected site we discovered. I forgot to mention the toggle button is also about the size of a penny.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your second item is an inner tube repair patch.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.php
Like this one........

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread