Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this this am at a local park, using my new XP DEUS. Was practicing on deep targets. Park is super trashy.

Anyone have history on it? How were they used? Did not have these where I grew up. E5EA224C-C24E-4458-906A-2396309196D8.jpeg

Upvote 11

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When general sales taxes were introduced in the US from 1930 onwards (starting with Kentucky and Mississippi) there was no easy way for a retailer to levy the tax on small purchases. For example, you might buy something with a retail price of 10 cents on which the sales tax would be a fraction of a cent and had no way to pay it. The retailer would nevertheless still be liable to pay the tax to the government based on the total of his sales. If he sold a lot of small items, he effectively lost money on each of those small sales and it could soon mount up.

These tokens were the solution. They came in various values and yours is valued at “1 mill” (a thousandth of a dollar, or a tenth of a cent). So if, for example, you made a 10 cent purchase liable for sales tax in fractions of a cent, the retailer would ‘overcharge’ you at 11 cents and then refund the ‘overpayment’ in fractional cents with these tokens. He then wasn’t losing out on what he had to pay the government.

Not every state had (or needed) these tokens. About a dozen states issued them. I think for Oklahoma they were issued from 1936-1941 and were formally ‘demonetarised’ in 1961. In most states they were discontinued during WWII as a result of the additional complications of ration tokens and stamps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CZKidd

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Thanks for that bit of info. What a PITA for the retailers of the day.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When general sales taxes were introduced in the US from 1930 onwards (starting with Kentucky and Mississippi) there was no easy way for a retailer to levy the tax on small purchases. For example, you might buy something with a retail price of 10 cents on which the sales tax would be a fraction of a cent and had no way to pay it. The retailer would nevertheless still be liable to pay the tax to the government based on the total of his sales. If he sold a lot of small items, he effectively lost money on each of those small sales and it could soon mount up.

These tokens were the solution. They came in various values and yours is valued at “1 mill” (a thousandth of a dollar, or a tenth of a cent). So if, for example, you made a 10 cent purchase liable for sales tax in fractions of a cent, the retailer would ‘overcharge’ you at 11 cents and then refund the ‘overpayment’ in fractional cents with these tokens. He then wasn’t losing out on what he had to pay the government.

Not every state had (or needed) these tokens. About a dozen states issued them. I think for Oklahoma they were issued from 1936-1941 and were formally ‘demonetarised’ in 1961. In most states they were discontinued during WWII as a result of the additional complications of ration tokens and stamps.

Thanks for that info Red-Coat. I can see that you're already an asset to this forum. Regards, Gary

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I like finding those tokens. I have 8 of them from Oklahoma. Red Coat gave an excellent description of what they are.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find in the trash, congrats! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love tokens more than silver zi only have 2 and thier the same token lol. Good piece of history in those

OP
OP
CZKidd

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest: