Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, Greg. I did a "Google" search on L. B. Lent...seems he has been with a circus all his life.

LENT, LEWIS B. (1813-May 26, 1887) Showman. Born in Jamestown, NY (another source gives Somers, NY). Father bought, sold and leased animals and for a short time had a traveling menagerie. By the time Lewis was 21 years of age, 1834, was an agent for June, Titus & Angevine; August of that year, purchased an interest in I. R. and W. Howes’ Menagerie; as a partner of Brown & Lent, toured up and down the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers, making the jumps by steamboat, 1835-38; associated with June, Titus & Angevine again, 1839-42; became a partner and manager of Welch’s National Circus, 1843; following year, took Sands & Lent’s Circus to England, 1843-45, this being the first American circus to perform there; upon returning to America, the Sands & Lent partnership continued for some 10 years, until Lent withdrew; had an interested in and assisted the “Flatfoots” in managing Sands, Lent & Co.’s American Circus; VanAmburgh’s Menagerie; June, Titus & Angevine’s Menagerie and Circus, 1846-48; after spending 1849 in California, returned to manage Welch’s National Circus the following year; 1851-54, partner with P. T. Barnum’s; during the next 3 years, associated with Rufus Welch in the National Theatre and Circus, Philadelphia, Welch’s National Circus and L. B. Lent New York Circus Combined. To create a distinction between the two firms, the Welch wagons were painted vermilion and Lent’s ultramarine blue. During 1857-62, managed L. B. Lent’s National Circus; following 3 years was manager of the Equescurriculum, NYC; manager, New York Circus, Hippotheatron on East Fourteenth Street, NYC, fall and winter 1865-72; general director, L. B. Lent’s New York Circus, 1874; railroad agent, Howes & Cushing, 1875; held the same position for French’s, 1876; manager and railroad agent, VanAmburgh & Co., 1878; advance director, Adam Forepaugh’s, 1879; at the end of the season, revived the New York Circus, Globe Theatre; general director, Batcheller & Doris, 1880; general agent, Robbins & Colvin, 1881; agent, Cooper, Jackson & Co., 1882. Died at his home, 264 Lexington Ave., NYC. Wife, Mary A. Lent, also died at the home, NYC. Was an all-round circus man and considered to be the best general agent and router of his day. Pioneered the use of “jaw-breaking” circus titles with his “Hippozoonomadom,” inspired by the aquisition of a hippotamus to his circus.

;) RR

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Here's some additional information about someone with similar circumstances as your find along with the replies on that site.

Tony

38. Circus Token - L.B. Lent, November 21, 2003 - I found under my house a copper circus token. 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter. New York circus, 14th street Academy of Music. L.B. Lent director. A woman standing on a horse in the center. Can it be dated? Thank You. David Current, Roanoke Indiana, [email protected]. Respond to this message

Reply: January 13, 2004 - One of the standard references on tokens is Russell Rulau, Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900 (Krause, 1999). A check of it failed to show a listing for the Lewis B. Lent (1813-1887) item. Many circus tokens are quite rare, but I've seen several examples of the Lent piece. Many years ago there was also an article printed in Hobbies magazine about circus tokens. The piece is likely not solid, but what is known as a shell token.
Standard biographies of Lent are available in different sources, as are images of the Hippotheatron, which opened in 1864. He was involved with it, according to Slout's Olympians, 1865-1872. Fred Dahlinger, Jr., Director of Historic Resources and Facilities, Circus World Museum.

Reply: 26 July, 2005 - It would be 1866 or a year or so on either side. Don Wilkey, Australia. I would love to know where I could find details of the members of his troupe. An ancestor of mine, Edward Yeamans, a clown, appeared for him. Can anyone throw light on Edward Yeamans as a comedian or clown in the 1840s in the New York area? [email protected]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gregl01

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
WOW Thanks guys !!!! I'm hoping to find out some reference to its value as well. I may have to submit it to Mark Parker for that. Its interesting that reference to him being born in Jamestown NY, I live about 5 miles south of there!!! Thanks again
Greg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gregl01

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Very interesting reading but no names I recognized. My house was built in 1863, so the time frame fits. I think some folks picked this up before or at the circus and discarded it sometime later?/? I really want to find out where the circus was held!!!!!!! Hmmm seateds, injuns, shield nickels Oh boy!!!!!
Thanks
Greg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gregl01

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
It looks as if he operated the 14th St. circus from 1866-1871. I don't see any travel dates for 1868-1871 so thats my next quest. I'm hoping to find that this circus traveled near Jamestown NY in that time frame and where. I love these mysteries. I suppose that this token could have been a gift or memento and has nothing to do with my area. I'll keep diggin for info. Thanks to all who have helped!!!!!
Greg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's some more about Lent's travels through NY state in 1869:

Lent's N.Y Circus and Yankee Robinson's Circus are both elaborately billed for Rochester, N.Y. on the 12th and 13th and 14th respectively. Lent's . . . exhibits in Lockport, N.Y. Aug. 14th, NIagara Falls 16th, and Buffalo 17th and 18th.
Source: New York Clipper, August 14, 1869, p. 151.

Lent's New York Circus is on its homeward travels, and will reach New York early in September. The concern will take in the principal towns in the oil regions, stopping at Meadville on Sept. 6th.
Source: New York Clipper, September 4, 1869, p. 175.

Lent's N.Y. Circus made its first stand in Washington and after showing in Philadelphia and a few towns in Jersey, went through into Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts, and then turned a complete double somersault into New York State, crossed over into Pennsylvania, made a few stands in Ohio, then into York State, down the Erie road through Jersey, home to this city for the winter. This concern traveled all the time by railroad, visiting only principal towns. The route was laid out for an extended tour of the New England States, but for the first time on record this concern had to back down, take up its stands, and get out of Massachusetts in a hurried manner for New York State, owning to the very bad business and opposition encountered. This concern, while it has not made much money, has lost none.

Source: New York Clipper
Don....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread