pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea but they are neat.. I'm sure somebody on here will be able to Identify them for you..

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, Butterfield! That looks like it should be easy-peasy to attribute with a name like Thompson S. Wheat. Plus a business name and address, and location where they were found. But, no. I can find only one Thompson Wheat in the Censuses and he was a blacksmith in rural Georgia. That makes me wonder if perhaps the order for these tokens was mis-read and should have been Thompson & Wheat. Still no joy looking for that. They do look typical of Chicago post-Prohibition tokens, but Chicago online directories are few and far between. The search continues...
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
Thanks for having a look, John! I sent an e-mail to the Indiana token cataloguer and he found a Capitol Smoke House in Gary Indiana in the 1950's, but more research needs to be done for an exact attribution.

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
Yes, he is from Indiana, but apparently they belonged to his father, who was a truck driver.

OP
OP
B

Butterfield

Dec 8, 2006
I was recently doing a Google search for these and Clinton Indiana came up as a possibility, from the mid to late 1930s. Does anyone have any extended Indiana references?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread