What's new

Tombac cast button with X on it

Almy

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
2,010
Reaction score
3,977
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Somehow I think I have seen this type of button before but cannot remember where. Does anyone recognize it? It is 5/8" in diameter. Found yesterday near a New Brunswick Provincials button, several smaller buttons, several large "Dandy" buttons and an 1734 King George II half penny.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1020.webp
    IMG_1020.webp
    102 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1021.webp
    IMG_1021.webp
    104.3 KB · Views: 223
To me your button looks like it's made of pewter, not tombac. As for the X I have no idea. HH
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a typical early pewter designed civilian button. These almost always have shanks made of pewter while military of the same period tend to have iron shanks.
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking more than just an 'X'. Basket weave, perhaps?

B-050-020.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
You guys are good! It has a integrally cast eye and I can see vestiges of the basketweave so a civilian, pewter button it is! Thank you. By early is early to mid-1700s reasonable or would it likely be a bit later?
 
Upvote 0
AcadienLoyalistMarco said:
You guys are good! It has a integrally cast eye and I can see vestiges of the basketweave so a civilian, pewter button it is! Thank you. By early is early to mid-1700s reasonable or would it likely be a bit later?

I would say mid. to last part of the 1700s, but by what you've found sounds like yours could date to the last half.
 
Upvote 0
Ip knows you guys stuff purdy good. :thumbsup: But damn that thing looks 16th century to me. :icon_scratch: Nice find none the less. :thumbsup: And have seen some of your other early finds GOOD STUFF. :headbang: Hope to see more from you. :wink:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
Midway down in the middle on this site.
http://silversimon.piczo.com/?g=41474971&vsrc=search_google
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom