Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight's finds

Went out to the old fairgrounds again today with the Tejon. Same place I usually go when I can't decide on another destination... hit pretty hard in the 80's and 90's, lots of work to find anything decent. Mucho iron junk and foil.

I found a 1958 wheat cent at 3", a 1964 nickel at about 4", and an old pearl-handled pocketknife (maybe 1950's?) at about 6". It looks pretty bad in the photo but as I write this I'm cleaning it with electrolysis to get the cakes of rust off it. You can see from the rust that the knife has been in the ground a very long time!

The 2 badly caked rusty "whatsits" are next in line for the electrolysis bath. I can see one is a bolt, have no idea what the other is.

Not shown: 2 fairly large pieces of iron plate, appear to be cast iron, possibly stoveplate or something. Definitely 100+ years old. Depth on each was about 5 inches. Have to clean 'em up and I'll post photos.

Attachments

• finds-june27.jpg
    finds-june27.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tonight's finds

The thing in the center appears to be copper scrap. Don't know what it's from.

The knife says "Charlottetown" on it and has a picture of a ship, in case you can't quite make it out in the photo. Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, I'm thinking. I guess someone came all the way down here, only to drop their knife at our little ol' village fair.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat finds! I got a couple of those 'whatsits' waiting on me to clean too. :D

Nana ;)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love the pocket knife!

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Rusted_Iron

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's the pocketknife after electrolysis. The blades were so rusted that they fell apart.

Any ideas on the age of this knife? To get this rusted, they must have been in the ground a long time.

Attachments

• finds-June27-pocketknife-cleaned.jpg
    finds-June27-pocketknife-cleaned.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 237

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread