Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out in the sweltering heat Saturday for about 3 hours. Not many options this time of year except for cow pastures. I would have hunted a little longer but the heat, the cows, and the flies that come with the cows proved too much for me. This is a spot that that I first hit almost 20 years ago. It’s given up two Rattlesnake with Stars buttons, two Harrison log cabin campaign buttons, three one piece eagle artillery buttons and a Vermont copper, but it is a small spot and I have worked it pretty hard over the years. This was my first time there with my upgraded F75 though. I was digging those iffy signals that sometimes get better when you open up a hole. I ended up with 3 buttons and a clipped 1840 large cent. Not much but it was good just to get out and dig something.

Here's what came home with me. Every hole you dig here has some broken ceramics in it. I pocketed a few examples.
a. 8-15-15 all.JPG

Copper in the dirt!! What's it gonna be?
c. LC in the dirt.jpg

Turned out to be an 1840 Large Cent with a piece clipped off. I was hoping for a nice state copper or early LC.
b. 1840 LC - front.JPG

Eventually the cows figured I must be onto something and they surrounded me along with the thousands of flies that were with them.
d. Cows.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot in PA... Pfffft!

Yeah I know it's hotter in Mississippi, but 90 degrees and high humidity is pretty dam hot for some of us Yankees! I hunted in hotter when I lived in Texas, but I was younger and able to handle it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats on the dated LC with character! Nice cheering section you acquired!
Funny how the cows wanted to join in the hunt, dogs do the same thing, they come over sniff around and then help dig.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny how the cows wanted to join in the hunt, dogs do the same thing, they come over sniff around and then help dig.

Too Funny! I've had dogs come up and try to help a few times. It cracks me up! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too Funny! I've had dogs come up and try to help a few times. It cracks me up! :laughing7:
I had this girl's Pit Bull take over my hole once. I wasn't gonna fight him over it. I finally found the target five feet behind him.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I like the large cent Steve. Glad you got out. I will miss you on Coles Hill, still some glass left up there.
-Evan

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the large cent Steve. Glad you got out. I will miss you on Coles Hill, still some glass left up there.
-Evan
Haha Evan, Coles Hill. If I was going, I'd would go straight to the colonial house site I got into last time I was there.

Attachments

• DIV XV All.jpg
    DIV XV All.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 54

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those cows were thinking if that coin and those relics are good enough for you.... they wan't some too !

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool largie!! I agree on the heat. A little warm out here as well but hey; when ya got too go, ya gotta go!!!!!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have invited a cow home for dinner .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread