What's new

Too much free time at work today...

Immy

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2005
Messages
2,999
Reaction score
874
Golden Thread
0
Location
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...means I'm getting a little goofy. So here's some CRH silliness I made up -

[I go into a bank that often refuses to take box orders without a charge. I approach the teller window where the usual grouchy old senior is working. Her name tag says Betty.]

ME: [Very cheery] Hi there Bitty!

BETTY: [annoyed] That's Betty...

ME: Oh, sorry 'bout that. Whaddya think, can you spare some rolls of half dollars today without the extra charge?

BETTY: [growing angry] I already told you we're not allowed to do that.

ME: Well maybe I can make it worth your while Bi...uh...Betty. Remember how I brought in a box of chocolates for the cutie teller who works on your day off? Look what I got here. [I produce a large box of Depends undergarments from a bag] Who's lookin' out for ya, huh Betty?

BETTY: That is not funny, and I'm about two minutes from calling security on you.

ME: Sheesh! Try to do something nice for someone and this is what you get...never mind. Hey, I've always wondered something Betty and you're the right person to ask.

BETTY: What?

ME: Back in the 1800's there used to be funny coin denominations like 2 cents, 3 cents and 20 cents. How many of each of those made up a roll?

BETTY: How would I know?

ME: Well, weren't you alive back then?

BETTY: SECURITY!!!!!!!


THE END
 
Upvote 0
Very good Dave! When I got to the word Depends.....I busted out laughing......that image popped into my head.

Yes I am almost sure you got escorted out of there without those rolls of halves....lol.

You did strike my curiosity on the rolls of the 2 cents, 3 cents and 20 cents. Any idea how many were in a roll? Did they even have rolls back then? I hope that wasn't a naive question.
 
That is great, Immy!
I would love to do something like that anoe of these days!

LJ-
I heard a story from a guy who found a cache of civil war coins and currency in an old house. All the coins were in cloth wrappers!
 
Here's what Alan Herbert said in his terrific book Coin Clinic:

"Back in the early days of our country, paper was too precious to waste on coins, so they were bagged and stacked, giving rise to several stories of coin designs rejected because they wouldn't stack properly. When rolls came along, they were found to be an excellent method of keeping coins together and making counting almost automatic."
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom