Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to make sure. Only have about 6 hours on my first md. Coming along well though. Thanks!

Cory

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes my front yard! But I am really learning what bad targets sound like!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Looks like a job for the............

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only have so much patience :BangHead: ( probably less than the average ) and I usually give up when there is just too much trash. That is even with my new Coiltek " Digger " coil which is fantastic in trashy areas but there is a limit on how long I will stay in a trashy area if the only things I am finding are clad.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
yes some places have too much trash to make it worth detecting. If I start a place like that, I will abandon it, and go to "greener grounds". Unless the spot holds some sort of super old promise of rewards. For example: In my town, in our "blighted" vice district, there are some vacant lots which have been homeless camps for decades. Like buildings had burned down or been torn out of there in the 1950s/60s, and they are now nothing more than blighted vacant lots. Simply impossible to detect them, since they are a sea of wino screw caps, foil, trash, hypodermic needles, blah blah blah. However, the lots are in a colorul and old part of our town, so it stands to reason that there MUST be some coins there. It was the "china town" district back in the 1880s to 1920s. So what I would do is take a shovel, and go along the sidewalk frontage of these lots, digging out a uniform scrape of perhaps 4 to 6" deep. I'd scale down a sample area about as big as a billiard table around. Then stop to detect just those dug down spots. This would reveal old coins. But a lot of work! :)

I know a park in my state, which is in a very bad side of the town. But in the 1800s, it was in the elite high-rent side of town. And today, there's so much junk, that the surface of this park is a blanket of foil, tabs, wino-caps, etc.. Even hypodermic needles (it was a drug-haven in the 1970s/80s). So some guys I knew employed this "scrape" method, by actually taking flat shovels, and cutting out sections of turf, to "roll back" (much like you could imagine turf rolls that you'd buy from a landscape store). And by doing so, they were rewarded with seateds, etc... Needless to say, they had to .... uh .... use careful timing in their choice of times to do this. Like from 5am to 8am on a Sunday AM, etc.... haha

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not go cutting up the turf!!! That old coin is not going to pay the thousands of dollars in fines and missed work from jail, also not going to pay to return a thousand acre park. Stupid stuff like that is why MDing gets banned from places.

Really people stop putting ideas in people's heads that are illegal or destructive. Some people take you seriously and do it!! Now I know he was just mentioning it to the guy but you see alot of that stuff on here anymore. Yes i know everyone can make their own choices but some people just do it anyways or someone reading this thread may use that idea. Nothing is worth getting in trouble or ruining the whole hobby for everyone over a mercury dime. Have fun and good luck out there.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt, there are too many other spots to search that will produce just as much as a trashy spot. Write it off or find some serious patience.

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have felt the same way no long ago. I went on a trip to James Madison & Dolly Madison last week. We were detecting for archeologist that were trying to find where the blacksmith's shop was located on this one piece of property. You can imagine the number of nails that we found. I have a mine-lab safari, I was lost. I couldn't indicate what was going on. There was a guy that has 30 odd years of detecting under his belt that told me what to listen for and how to use the pinpoint in the all metal mode. There were an average of 40 hits per 10X10 square foot. After a few hours I was able to pick out furious and conductive hits from the same hole. I did't always get them right, we had to dig all hits. We had to work in all metal also. I learn a lot by doing this. If anyone is interested in going on a MD trip to Montpelier go to their site. montpelierarchaeology.com

Jim

Aug 10, 2013
Warren NJ
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have felt the same way no long ago. I went on a trip to James Madison & Dolly Madison last week. We were detecting for archeologist that were trying to find where the blacksmith's shop was located on this one piece of property. You can imagine the number of nails that we found. I have a mine-lab safari, I was lost. I couldn't indicate what was going on. There was a guy that has 30 odd years of detecting under his belt that told me what to listen for and how to use the pinpoint in the all metal mode. There were an average of 40 hits per 10X10 square foot. After a few hours I was able to pick out furious and conductive hits from the same hole. I did't always get them right, we had to dig all hits. We had to work in all metal also. I learn a lot by doing this. If anyone is interested in going on a MD trip to Montpelier go to their site. montpelierarchaeology.com

Jim

Just visited their site. No wonder you were lost. They had you digging in a field already searched and filled with all iron objects. You failed to mention they keep replanting the iron objects on site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread