Tools of the detecting trade

G

Gooddog

I hate to sound really dumb, but what kind of tools do you fellow detectors use? I started out with a garden spade, but it bent in half the first day out, so I bought another with same result. Seems all the stores around here sell very cheap hand held garden spades. So now I use a 4' shovel, but this is kind of awkward carrying around a big shovel when I probably only need a little spade. Where do you put the dirt after you dig the grass plug? I am currently using a small plastic box maybe 1' square, but I found that if I put the dirt in there and then scan the plug and the object is not there and scan the dirt and the object is not there then I find its still in the hole then where do I put the new scoop of dirt. In the same plastic box? So now I carry a 5 gallon bucket with a 1' plastic box that fits nicely in the bucket so i can check the dirt in the box then dumb it into the bucket then when i find the object dump the bucket back into the hole. Whew :'( seems like i am doing a lot of work and there should be an easier way.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I am as green as grass and really would like to know how you people do it, thanks.

Upvote 0

Mi$$ouri Jim

Apr 3, 2005
here are some of the tools I keep handy in the jeep. Its an old pic & I havnt updated it.

A good sturdy & durable handheld digger is needed. Like the lesche, the predator tool, or a hori hori knife. Most garden trowels available at hardware shops & garden centers arent very durable.

Also a handheld pinpointer is invaluable in my opinion.... saves a lot of time finding the metal object in the hole or dirt pile. (it is a handheld electronic device with a probe that detects metal at the tip).

Some use a towel to lay the dirt on when digging a plug, but I dont usually need one (unless the plug is REALLY deep).

Attachments

• stuff copy.jpg
    stuff copy.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 292
OP
OP
G

Gooddog

Okay, hey thanks a lot. You have been a big help and given my a few ideas of where to go next. Thanks a lot :)

OP
OP
G

Gooddog

Thanks omnicognic, that thread was a big help. I still need to find a heavy duty hand spade, but now I have a better idea of what to look for.

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I have a piece of heavy duty plastic that hangs on a little hook on my pouch until I find something. Lay the sheeting on the ground and put the dirt on it, it's large enough to seperate into two piles if needed. Then I have an all plastic scoop if things get ugly. I can scoop up some dirt and run it over the top of the coil as the detector sits on the ground, and then pour it onto another section of the plastic if there is no metal. The plastic is also nice since you can form it into somewhat of a trough so you can pour all the dirt back into the hole.

Of course it's always a good idea to verify your plastic sheet isn't laying on top of another target before you start to dig the hole. Not that that's ever happened! :-[

F

Floater

dudes2112 said:
I have a piece of heavy duty plastic that hangs on a little hook on my pouch until I find something. Lay the sheeting on the ground and put the dirt on it, it's large enough to seperate into two piles if needed. Then I have an all plastic scoop if things get ugly. I can scoop up some dirt and run it over the top of the coil as the detector sits on the ground, and then pour it onto another section of the plastic if there is no metal. The plastic is also nice since you can form it into somewhat of a trough so you can pour all the dirt back into the hole.

Of course it's always a good idea to verify your plastic sheet isn't laying on top of another target before you start to dig the hole. Not that that's ever happened! :-[
That is too funny dudes. LOL Not really obvious but enough to P!$$ ya off. LOL

OP
OP
G

Gooddog

dudes2112 said:
I have a piece of heavy duty plastic that hangs on a little hook on my pouch until I find something.? Lay the sheeting on the ground and put the dirt on it, it's large enough to seperate into two piles if needed.? Then I have an all plastic scoop if things get ugly.? I can scoop up some dirt and run it over the top of the coil as the detector sits on the ground, and then pour it onto another section of the plastic if there is no metal.? The plastic is also nice since you can form it into somewhat of a trough so you can pour all the dirt back into the hole.

Of course it's always a good idea to verify your plastic sheet isn't laying on top of another target before you start to dig the hole.? Not that that's ever happened! :-[

Oh man dudes2112 you have given me some great ideas, thanks. I have this old blue plastic tarp with eye holes on it and right now I am thinking I cut it up and leave an eye hole in a corner to hang it on my belt or just fold it up and I can lay this piece of plastic tarp next to the hole and use it like you said and funnel the dirt back in the hole. Great idea. I just have to be carefull of the metal eye hold thingy cause my detector will detect that for sure, lol.

S

skydiv

I just use one of those red plastic flags the home centers like menards or low's use to put on the long lumber. also sears has a nice solid aluminum spade that I use and works fine. the plastic flag wades up for your pocket.

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Try to find a one piece hardened steel small shovel which you are most likely to find at a store that sells metal detectors...one piece shovels do not bend...I went through about 6 shovels from home depot before going back to where I bought my detector and bought the shovel they sell...love the new one and have had no problems with it...
Pepperpump :)

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
I carry my MD a combat knife for digging and cutting plugs, a fanny pak for trash and treasure and thats it I like to travel light

terminal99

Greenie
Apr 22, 2005
Maryland
I try to keep it as simple as possible. All I carry is a 10 inch ww2 bayonet. It's a nice heavy, tough piece of steel. Any trash I find goes in my back pocket and any coins I find go in the coin pocket of my jeans. I'm surprised at how many coins you can fit in that little pocket. you should be able to get a nice bayonet on EBAY for less than $20.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a leather electricians pouch mounted on a 2" wide belt that I picked up at Builders Square. I poked a hole in the bottom of one of the pockets so my pinpointing tool will fit and it has another wide pouch and several narrow ones to put additional tools in. I like to cut my plug with my Gator digging tool and then scoop out the dirt with a garden trowel as it is wider and will remove more dirt per scoop. I found one at Wal-mart that is solid metal with a rubber cover over the handle and is strong enough not to bend or break. Usually I carry the Gator tool, a garden trowel, an ice pick for probing for shallow targets, a screwdriver for tightening screws on my detector, spare batteries, my pinpointer, a pair of knee pads, and a small snip for cutting grass and small tree roots. I got a pair of heavy suspenders to help hold the rig up so it won't wind up around my knees. It also helps keep my pants up since my butt disappeared a few years ago! With these basic tools I can handle all but the heaviest digging chores. Carrying a shovel around is frowned upon in most parks and schools, etc., although I do have a small spade I keep in my truck just in case. JIM

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Home Depot had a great little clip that is all plastic that I hooked to the corner of my plastc sheet so I wouldn't have any metal. It was in a bucket right in front of the paint counter at my location, but I don't know if it has anything to do with painting... I'll post a picture of it tonight if I can remember.

Dudes

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gooddog,

I have 2 X 2 Ft. piece of denim cloth that I have attached a hook to for placing the dirt from the plug on. I use a large garden spade 7" and 2 1/2 feet handle from Walmart for fields and a Letche in yards. Also carry a small wall board hole saw for cutting through small nested roots.

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Here's a picture of the clip you can get at Home Depot, not real sure how you would go about asking for one though, not really sure what it's called, just sort of stumbled onto it one day... There is an outside sleeve that slides down and rachets the clip tighter and tighter onto the plastic, the plastic won't come loose once it's in place. The other clip in the picture is what hooks the plastic to my leather tool belt, I think you can get those most anywhere.

Dudes

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 160

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
The metal clip is called a Karabiner (or Carabiner) and are available in many sizes.. Handy Items.. I keep one fastened to each end of my Canoe, it makes tying on lines very quick and easy..

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best shovel you can get is called a "Sampson Shovel". You can do a Google search and they will give you outlets to buy. Range from $30 to $40 but well worth the money. Some MD dealers carry them. Darn near indestructible. Attached photos show one with a T-handle. 35 1/2" long. The shorter one is 31 1/2" long. I bought a dozen terry cloth towels about 1 foot square to use. I wrap a towel around my Sampson shovel and carry it in my left hand to balance the MD in my right hand. I use the shovel primarily to keep knee from getting wet on wet ground and the towel serves as a cushion. You can cut nice plugs without bending over so much with the shovel, especially on those targets 5" deep or more. I carry my digger and brass probe in the left and right rear pockets for shallower targets. If I am on the beach or on sand, I ditch the shovel for a sand scoop.

Attachments

• SampsonShov1.jpg
    SampsonShov1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 161
  • SampsonTowel.jpg
    SampsonTowel.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 161

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it can become a lethal weapon against snakes, dogs or other ornery critters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread