Top 5 places I go when banks wont budge.

LightWeightBaby

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2015
C.T.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been turned down by many banks in my area when I ask for an order for a box of pennies. They literally always say no... So here are the top 5 places I hit for when I hunt for some rolls....
1)gas stations- the best. A ticking gold mine. I have found silver dimes in penny rolls and tons of wheats. Always a good place to go and ask for a couple rolls of pennies.

2)delis- this one is unusual, but some local delis have some crazy rolls in their registers.

3)post office- the post office usually has a good stash of rolls. I get lucky with them occasionally.

4)The mall- the mall is insane.... Think, every store has a cash register with at least 1 roll in each. Give yourself an hour and a half, bring a bag or a back pack and some money, walk around to each store and ask for a couple bucks in Penny's, and Im telling you, u will have a load of rolls to look through.... I have found some nice mercury dimes doing this and some Indian heads... Works like a charm.

5)rite aid- this one is weird, but I have had good luck with rite aid. After I do my shopping I ask nicely... "Excuse me but may i exchange a couple of dollars for some rolls of Penny's?" It works every time. And they usually have some nice rolls. At least the one near me does.... Lol

Hope you guys check these places out when your in the dark days of hunting... And remember, a penny saved is a penny earned!!!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post, Light Weight. I'm shocked that your bank won't sell you a box of pennies. I've never had a problem getting penny boxes or boxes of other denominations. But you have given me lots of food for thought. You are thinking outside the box. Are most of the rolls you buy machine wrapped or hand-wrapped? Have you tried picking up denominations other than pennies? I'm kind of amazed they would part with their rolls so easily. Seems like they would need to hang onto their rolls to use in their registers. Maybe customers sometimes pay for their merchandise with rolled coins, so the businesses are happy to get rid of them. On a few occasions I have asked for half dollars at gas stations, but they never seem to have any. A member of this forum recently suggested asking for halves at grocery store customer service desks. I haven't tried yet, but it seems like a great idea.

OP
OP
L

LightWeightBaby

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2015
C.T.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man! And I am a member of union savings bank, and every time I ask they tell me no, and that they can only exchange a few rolls here and there.... Its complete BS. But yeah, so I improvise by going to these places, and I just ask for penny rolls, (very rarely dimes, but rarely) these places I go to usually have more penny rolls than any other rolls and the delis are hand wrapped. (Found a roll with half wheats, and the other half was pre-1982, the best roll iv ever opened, found about 6 wheats in that single roll lol) but if you just ask for a few bucks in Penny's it should always work. Halves however are very tricky, and most of the time the cashier is clueless, or says they don't have any.... Which again I think is bs, but as long as I'm getting penny rolls I'm good. Lol what bank do u belong too?? Maybe I can find one around here lol

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks man! And I am a member of union savings bank, and every time I ask they tell me no, and that they can only exchange a few rolls here and there.... Its complete BS. But yeah, so I improvise by going to these places, and I just ask for penny rolls, (very rarely dimes, but rarely) these places I go to usually have more penny rolls than any other rolls and the delis are hand wrapped. (Found a roll with half wheats, and the other half was pre-1982, the best roll iv ever opened, found about 6 wheats in that single roll lol) but if you just ask for a few bucks in Penny's it should always work. Halves however are very tricky, and most of the time the cashier is clueless, or says they don't have any.... Which again I think is bs, but as long as I'm getting penny rolls I'm good. Lol what bank do u belong too?? Maybe I can find one around here lol
I'm such a coin roll hunting maniac that I actually belong to eight different banks. None of them have ever refused to give me coins. But most of them (except the big banks) don't have many boxes on hand--I just have to order from them and pick up about a week later. On the other hand, Bank of America and Wells Fargo have boxes on hand and I can pick up there on a moment's notice--except for the halves. They don't keep boxes of halves on hand--but will generally have a few loose halves or hand-wrapped rolls on hand. I'll bet your bank would order boxes for you. If they won't, I would dump their sorry butts and take your business elsewhere. My attitude is that if a particular bank wants my business, they need to help me indulge in my hobby--within reason, of course. That's why I deal with eight banks, so each branch only sees me occasionally and I never become that pain in the butt customer.
Today I put one of your suggestions into action and tried getting some halves at two the grocery store customer service desks. Neither of them had any, but from their response, it is clear that they sometimes have some halves on hand. Now when I go into a grocery store, I usually have three shots at silver: 1) the bank (almost all grocery stores in this city have a bank within the store--usually US Bank), 2) the customer service desk, and 3) the Coinstar machine.
The lady at the grocery store didn't have any halves, but she suggested I try at the post office. She says the post office will have halves, which surprised me. Do you normally just ask for pennies? Are they pretty happy about getting rid of the rolls? Does anyone ever seem annoyed or say no? Are the rolls usually hand-wrapped or machine-wrapped? Thanks again for the info. It's nice to know there are other places to get coins to search.

OP
OP
L

LightWeightBaby

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2015
C.T.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow, that's a lot of banks lol. But when I would go to the 5 places I listed they usually never had halves. So I always ask for Penny's. Most gas stations are machine wrapped, delis r usually hand wrapped, post office can be both machine and hand wrapped too. And I ask for at leat a dollar in pennies, they usually always give me 2 rolls at least without a problem. U can also ask if they have rolls in of dimes at the grocery store, that worked once for me. But whenever I do this, I always ask for pennies because that's the type of roll cashiers r most willing to give away. Just keep it limited to pennies, dimes, and nickels.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh wow, that's a lot of banks lol. But when I would go to the 5 places I listed they usually never had halves. So I always ask for Penny's. Most gas stations are machine wrapped, delis r usually hand wrapped, post office can be both machine and hand wrapped too. And I ask for at leat a dollar in pennies, they usually always give me 2 rolls at least without a problem. U can also ask if they have rolls in of dimes at the grocery store, that worked once for me. But whenever I do this, I always ask for pennies because that's the type of roll cashiers r most willing to give away. Just keep it limited to pennies, dimes, and nickels.

Today I tried asking for halves at the post office. They didn't have any. If I had asked for pennies, nickels, or dimes, I would probably have scored. When they ask you what you want them for, what do you usually tell them?

OP
OP
L

LightWeightBaby

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2015
C.T.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I tried asking for halves at the post office. They didn't have any. If I had asked for pennies, nickels, or dimes, I would probably have scored. When they ask you what you want them for, what do you usually tell them?

Yeah, I could see them not having halves, u just gotta get really lucky with it. The problem is, no one uses them anymore so most company's don't order those rolls from the banks. But occasionally iv seen them floating around here and there. And yeah, pennys and dimes r always good. Nickels too lol. But when they ask me I just tell them to the truth, I just say I'm a coin collector. They usually don't care lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread