What's new

Topo map symbol identification help

xracer550

Full Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Messages
171
Reaction score
533
Golden Thread
0
Location
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been looking around this topo map & see quite a few of these symbols some atop of hills some in valleys , I can't find this image can someone identify ?
Screenshot 2025-08-06 at 12-58-24 V795X24541_002_geo.pdf.webp
 
Possibly a cave? I've seen cave symbols that are the same shape, but with the semicircle filled in.
 
I can't remember the name of the explanation directions that are given when you order the topo maps from the USGS form BUT it does have a name for all those symbols on these maps maybe try to goggle info about these symbols at the USGS site to find out what's up ! Good luck ! we wanna know also !
 
It's not a standard USGS symbol (see below), but map-makers often have their own key symbols which aren't standardised across all publishers.

USGS.webp


It looks more like a cave entrance than a mine, but if you want to be absolutely sure, you'll need to find a map from the same publisher that includes a table of the keys they use. Does your map include the name of the publisher?
 
Most of the maps I see use the symbol that Red-Coat show's but I did find the symbol on another map , Yes it is a shaft or a tunnel opening . Thank's for your help .
Screenshot 2025-08-07 at 08-57-00 V795X24541_002_geo.pdf.webp
 
It could be a cave as mentioned, but also being in a mining area, I would put my money on an Adit., which is a horizontal opening into a mine, vs a shaft which is vertical, the square..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom