wroughtironman
Tenderfoot
- #1
Thread Owner
Let me start by saying what great forums this site has. To all of you that have put your time in you've made a great easy to navigate site.
I've be perusing relic hunting boards for years, mostly the civil war related ones.
Frustratingly, being in Upstate NY I was "out of the loop" so to speak.
This site looks like people have been unearthing relics and treasure all over the world!
Over the years I've purchased some 'cheap' metal detectors off of e-bay, and of course got what I paid for.
I've only managed to find 'junk' and frustration from finding hundreds of nails pull tabs without the hint of even a coin.
I think I'm ready to purchase something worth using, but have no clue where to begin.
As I understand it the more professional grade detectors operate with a frequency that the user hears via headphones to determine the metal content? I based my purchases before on junk that had a visual needle, that I don't think worked, or didn't work well.
Is there a way to distinguish the sounds based on an items size? For instance, if I was through the mohawk valley and I ignored everything iron, would I be missing out on a 'good' piece (i.e. rev war era trade axe, or button or someother wonderful thing) because I assumed it was a nail?
I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, there are a dozen other questions I have on actually metal detecting, but I guess I had to start by asking some advice on buying a detector.
Is e-bay reputable to buy a used detector or should I go through a dealer?
To be blunt, I'd be looking to spend about $200 on a piece, if that's too little money I'd appreciate some honesty to just say "save up".
Thank you in advance!!!!!!!
~Jeff
I've be perusing relic hunting boards for years, mostly the civil war related ones.
Frustratingly, being in Upstate NY I was "out of the loop" so to speak.
This site looks like people have been unearthing relics and treasure all over the world!
Over the years I've purchased some 'cheap' metal detectors off of e-bay, and of course got what I paid for.
I've only managed to find 'junk' and frustration from finding hundreds of nails pull tabs without the hint of even a coin.
I think I'm ready to purchase something worth using, but have no clue where to begin.
As I understand it the more professional grade detectors operate with a frequency that the user hears via headphones to determine the metal content? I based my purchases before on junk that had a visual needle, that I don't think worked, or didn't work well.
Is there a way to distinguish the sounds based on an items size? For instance, if I was through the mohawk valley and I ignored everything iron, would I be missing out on a 'good' piece (i.e. rev war era trade axe, or button or someother wonderful thing) because I assumed it was a nail?
I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, there are a dozen other questions I have on actually metal detecting, but I guess I had to start by asking some advice on buying a detector.
Is e-bay reputable to buy a used detector or should I go through a dealer?
To be blunt, I'd be looking to spend about $200 on a piece, if that's too little money I'd appreciate some honesty to just say "save up".
Thank you in advance!!!!!!!
~Jeff
In your test garden you should write things down, do some research, and read up on your machine
...also in an air test...it's pretty good to spot coins in an air test to 10 - 11 inches....my experience it will have repeatable beeps on coins down to 8 inches in dry clean sand! It's a FAST machine as well...At the beach I swing it a full swing pass at about 1 to 2 seconds. The best thing is for you is to jump in and get the experience in actual detecting try to remember the signals BEFORE you dig , and write it down! In my experience I look at the machine as an electronic device to test, ...so I put it through different types of tests(as I am an electronic technician). Let me know how you do...an Ace 250 is around 200 bucks. Another tip; in the rain, rubber band a clear sandwich, or plastic bag over the housing to keep searching. If you need more help
there are many, many others out here that have much, more knowledge than even me(SOOO modest!) Hope you do well and happy(relic) hunting 







