Total Newbie

Jun 25, 2009
Let me start by saying what great forums this site has. To all of you that have put your time in you've made a great easy to navigate site.

I've be perusing relic hunting boards for years, mostly the civil war related ones.

Frustratingly, being in Upstate NY I was "out of the loop" so to speak.

This site looks like people have been unearthing relics and treasure all over the world!

Over the years I've purchased some 'cheap' metal detectors off of e-bay, and of course got what I paid for.

I've only managed to find 'junk' and frustration from finding hundreds of nails pull tabs without the hint of even a coin.

I think I'm ready to purchase something worth using, but have no clue where to begin.

As I understand it the more professional grade detectors operate with a frequency that the user hears via headphones to determine the metal content? I based my purchases before on junk that had a visual needle, that I don't think worked, or didn't work well.

Is there a way to distinguish the sounds based on an items size? For instance, if I was through the mohawk valley and I ignored everything iron, would I be missing out on a 'good' piece (i.e. rev war era trade axe, or button or someother wonderful thing) because I assumed it was a nail?

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself, there are a dozen other questions I have on actually metal detecting, but I guess I had to start by asking some advice on buying a detector.

Is e-bay reputable to buy a used detector or should I go through a dealer?

To be blunt, I'd be looking to spend about $200 on a piece, if that's too little money I'd appreciate some honesty to just say "save up".

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!

~Jeff

BillW313

Mar 13, 2009
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III Garrett's GTP 1350
I don't have a Garrett Ace 250 but everything I have read on here says it is a very good starter machine. I us a Garrett GTP 1350. Check out Kellyco before you buy. I bought mine from them and saved over $100 and got over $200 in free items. They are located in Florida and I live in Penna. I got mine UPS in 3 days.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
W.Ironman,

You sound like a sensible guy. When you buy items sight
unseen you're taking a risk of being dissapointed when they
arrive. There's lots of multi-line dealers in your state. I
suggest you locate one near you and visit with him/her to
give you a chance to hold it in your hands and listen to it's
signals. Some detectors are irritating to listen to for hours.
Some are too heavy or have too many controls for your
comfort level.
Years ago Kellyco would let you make one upgrade to a
more expensive detector if you were unsatisfied. But you
better be aware of of the right detector for you. If you
have checked out actual detectors and decided that's the
one you want, a mail-order might save you a few bucks.
If you want a low cost, lightweight relic detector for those
Mohawk artifacts Tesoro has several, all with lifetime
warranties. To hunt those large cents and colonial silver
all you do is switch from all-metal to discriminate and dig em.
Some of you multi-line dealers in NY, let's help out the
wroughtironman.

lastleg

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Join a detecting club near you, and see if anyone there has a used detector for sale.
Carl

scrubber

Apr 1, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try looking for one on your local craigslist. I found a good deal there. When you go check one out, take fresh batteries of the type that it uses with you plus a working set of headphones. I got a new in the box $150 detector that way for $60.

scrubber

Deepseeker 1

Nov 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark, Ace 250
Hi Total newbie! I would say also right off to pick up the Ace 250. I own one and it's not only a good starter detector...it's also a great detector...as a back up or if you want to really find things!! It's sooo much better than a machine from Kmart or Radio Shack. It WILL find coins and jewelry....and relics for you! Best thing to do really is bury a few items in your own test garden in your yard at say 2, 4, and 6 inches...bury iron as well and know to learn the LOW tone as well! bury coins and maby a piece of silver too...get to know what a GOOD SIGNAL sounds like. :icon_thumright: I have an Ace 250 and it has paid for itself in the first two months. Tips; Use headphones(with adjustable volume will save on batteries), Good high capacity batteries; Nickle metal hydride (2500 MAh or better)and charger this will save you money on buying batteries. This machine is a great beach machine! If you decide to move up to the 9 x 12 larger coil you will be able to cover more ground, and go about 2 to 3 inches deeper in your searching. If you do go into the wet sand set the sensitivity to around 3 to 6 bars to cut out a lot of the falsing(this is the only bad thing about the machine...it's sensitive to salty sand) >:( In your test garden you should write things down, do some research, and read up on your machine :read2:...also in an air test...it's pretty good to spot coins in an air test to 10 - 11 inches....my experience it will have repeatable beeps on coins down to 8 inches in dry clean sand! It's a FAST machine as well...At the beach I swing it a full swing pass at about 1 to 2 seconds. The best thing is for you is to jump in and get the experience in actual detecting try to remember the signals BEFORE you dig , and write it down! In my experience I look at the machine as an electronic device to test, ...so I put it through different types of tests(as I am an electronic technician). Let me know how you do...an Ace 250 is around 200 bucks. Another tip; in the rain, rubber band a clear sandwich, or plastic bag over the housing to keep searching. If you need more help :help: there are many, many others out here that have much, more knowledge than even me(SOOO modest!) Hope you do well and happy(relic) hunting :hello2:

Deepseeker 1

crumbo

Apr 14, 2009
I've been using Garret products for 25 years; I would agree with others suggestions.

I would also add looking for a good beginners area for learning about the machine. Find a park with those spring riding ponies or frogs, where coins are tossed out of kids pockets. I have a regular park route for coins, including a county beach (on a river) which I frequent. I visit one spring frog which sprouts coins like mushrooms-- sometimes stopping there twice a day. Nothing wrong with thinking about older, deeper finds, but I would start out looking under monkey bars with sand or chips, to learn about your equipment first.

C

Cappy Z.

W.Ironman,

You sound like a sensible guy. When you buy items sight
unseen you're taking a risk of being dissapointed when they
arrive. (Lastleg)

Need I mention my mail order bride in 1978? Off the plane came what appeared to be her great grandmother....

(just kidding, but Lastleg is correct.)

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
BillyBud:

I hated to hear of your dissapointment with your first mail order
bride. I hope the next was an improvement.

As for my first she claimed to be from Brisbane but I found out
later she actually hailed from Tasmania. Oh Sheila. you devil you.

lastleg

C

Cappy Z.

lastleg said:
BillyBud:

I hated to hear of your dissapointment with your first mail order
bride. I hope the next was an improvement.

As for my first she claimed to be from Brisbane but I found out
later she actually hailed from Tasmania. Oh Sheila. you devil you.

lastleg

:D :D :D

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
stefen said:
$200 should get ya an Ace 250...a reasonable start

Most would agree with this.
Get on to Kellyco and compare the Ace 250 with other similarly priced
machines. I'd also look at the Fisher F2 or the Tesoro Silver Umax,
also in that price range. The Fisher is one of the least expensive
which still has visual ID numbers. The Tesoro Silver Umax
does not have ID numbers, but is very light weight, and people
who own it love the sounds it gives for good targets.

mrsjuju

May 9, 2009
Tacoma,Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Let me start by saying welcome!
My husband bought me an Ace 250 from Kellyco, for my first machine. And I love it!!
So easy to use and light weight, and the tones are great!
After one day I can tell you if it's a penny or a nickel or whatever!
Luck in the hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread