What's new

Tough to find a new variety at this point...but I did!

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
At this point in 'the game' it's getting harder and harder to find a half dollar variety that I don't have an example of. However today I picked up my two boxes and peeked in. One box had what I thought was 2 or 3 silvers showing...always a good sign. Well turns out only one of them was a 40%. Dang. Still...I did that box and pulled 2 1964s, 5 67-68s, and a 1970S. That would be the new coin for me! I have found one 1970D but not an S. Also, this marks my first 40% silver proof found. I got a 1996S last year and a 1962 Franklin proof this year but those are both 90% silver proofs. So now I can mark that one off! Unfortunately the obverse has some pretty bad gouging from being pried out of the proof set I reckon. I'll post a pic later once I get the camera.
 
Upvote 0
I have gotten 2 of those mid-60's s coins. They are sweet. Nice find.
 
A couple weeks ago I had been finding a few 1965s and 1966s with very thick bright edges very similar to the edge of this one, and I figured it was going to be another one of them, but when I saw the reverse of this coin I knew it was a 40% proof, turned it over and sure enough, 1970S.
 
Congrats on that 70. As you know those are hard to come by and are always fun to find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom