What's new

Tough wheatie found....01-23-2009

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I finally started going through all the penny bags I picked up on my recent road trip and although I normally just post the results to the road trip thread, I thought this deserved special attention.

The first bag was going okay and then right near the bottom I started finding quite a few wheat pennies, many back to back to back.

So apparently someone dumped their small collection.

But the nicest of the bunch by far was found third to the last one.....a 1924-D (see pics below)
I say the grade would be around F-12 or so which according the my most recent Coin Values magazine dated Feb 2009 puts it at $70....not bad for a penny and although the road trip as decent otherwise...now it was well worth it.

Also it is the first 1924-D reported being found in this forum and brings the list of wheat pennies not found and posted in this forum to 3 (1909-S VDB, 1914-D, and 1931-S).


Ended up with
78 wheat pennies (1910, 1917, 1920, 1924-D, 1928, 1929-D, 1930, 1935, 1937, 1940(2), 1940-S, 1941(3), 1942(2), 1944, 1944-D(3), 1944-S, 1945(4), 1945-D(5), 1945-S, 1946(2), 1946-D(3), 1946-S, 1947-D, 1948(2), 1948-D, 1949(2), 1950(2), 1950-D(2), 1951-D(2), 1952-D(4), 1953, 1953-D(4), 1954-D(2), 1955-D(3), 1956-D(2), 1957-D(6), 1958-D(6))

21 Canadian (1962, 1963, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1978(2), 1981, 1983(2), 1984, 1988, 1992, 1993(2), 1999(2), 2000, 2001, 2004)

1 Foreign (Italy, 2 Euro Cent (2002))
 

Attachments

  • 1924D Obverse.webp
    1924D Obverse.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 371
  • 1924D Reverse.webp
    1924D Reverse.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 361
Upvote 0
It's really in good condition! I still don't have that one. Congrats
 
GMan00001 said:
back to back.

So apparently someone dumped their small collection.

But the nicest of the bunch by far was found third to the last one.....a 1924-D (see pics below)
I say the grade would be around F-12 or so which according the my most recent Coin Values magazine dated Feb 2009 puts it at $70....not bad for a penny and although the road trip as decent otherwise...now it was well worth it.

Also it is the first 1924-D reported being found in this forum and brings the list of wheat pennies not found and posted in this forum to 3 (1909-S VDB, 1914-D, and 1931-S).

So can I go to the bank with you sometime?
Purrdee....
 
I am quite jealous of the 1924 D. Gman how many lincolns short of a complete set are you from CRH?
 
wiedz said:
I am quite jealous of the 1924 D. Gman how many lincolns short of a complete set are you from CRH?

Lifetime (essentially the past 4 years..no toughies were found prior to that that I didn't find again in the past 4 years) I am now down to 19 left including both the large and small mintmarks for both the 1928-S and 1941-S.

1909-S (4)
1909-S VDB (1)
1910-S (12)
1911-S (6)
1912-S (8)
1913-D (27)
1914-D (3)
1915-S (11)
1920-S (53)
1921 (48)
1922-D (15)
1923-S (16)
1926-D (38)
1926-S (10)
1927-D (36)
1927-S (22)
1931 (29)
1931-S (2)
1932 (17)

The number in parentheses is the difficulty ranking based on mintage figures alone with #1 being the hardest.

Same list ordered by toughest
1909-S VDB (1)
1931-S (2)
1914-D (3)
1909-S (4)
1911-S (6)
1912-S (8)
1926-S (10)
1915-S (11)
1910-S (12)
1922-D (15)
1923-S (16)
1932 (17)
1927-S (22)
1913-D (27)
1931 (29)
1926-D (38)
1927-D (36)
1921 (48)
1920-S (53)
 
Very nice score on the 24D, :thumbsup:
 
Nicely done there gman ! The first 24d on this forum. Outstanding !

Glad to see some are doing well with cents.

Been branching out a bit this year, buying hand rolls of coins; but the last two days were indictative of the results so far:

$370 in cents: a single 53d
$110 in cents: a single 55d

Keep plugging away so I can (at least) live vicariously through your exploits. 8)
 
Congrats on the tough Wheatie!

-Codes
 
Great score!!! :thumbsup:
 
Finally cracked the top 5 huh? Nice going GMan, but I'd grade it a solid VF.
 
Immy said:
Finally cracked the top 5 huh? Nice going GMan, but I'd grade it a solid VF.

I guess I'm a little more conservative... I almost said F+ as it is in pretty good shape :)
 
GMan00001 said:
I guess I'm a little more conservative... I almost said F+ as it is in pretty good shape :)

That means you're PCGS material while NGC would hire me! ;D

BTW everybody, GMan deserves even more props. I just heard on the news that Minneapolis hasn't gone above 32º so far this year. The cold weather and elements don't stop the GMan! And whatever you drive should get a Consumer Reports best rating. :thumbsup:
 
Wow!!
Congrats on that 24-D!!!
 
Immy said:
BTW everybody, GMan deserves even more props. I just heard on the news that Minneapolis hasn't gone above 32º so far this year. The cold weather and elements don't stop the GMan! And whatever you drive should get a Consumer Reports best rating. :thumbsup:

hmm....really I actually hadn't noticed that.... :icon_sunny: ....though I did finally break down and wear long sleeves sometimes and even a jacket for 3 or maybe 4 days (got to -24...even I have my limits)....I thought about wearing shorts, sandals, and a Hawaiian shirt not too long ago I think we might have been finally hit 25..WOOHOO!!!!!...problem was I don't own a Hawaiian shirt so that put the kabosh on that idea....BOOO!!!!

Though I did notice that the thermometer built into my car wouldn't read below about -13 or -14.....Grrrrr!!!!!!! :protest:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom