What's new

Tracking List for 2009 Updated 08-05-2009 at 3:00 AM Central Time..

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2009 is here, and so the tracking list begins anew.

The tracking list for 2009 will be similar to 2008.

I set up a tracking spreadsheet to keep track of which coins were found in circulation (if you want a copy of my spreadsheets just PM me..they are in Excel).

As each coin listed is found, I will mark it as found and the list will shrink.

The idea is to see if, amongst all CRHers out there (at least those who contribute to this forum), how much variety can be found in circulating coins.
It can also answer such questions as, can a complete set of Franklin half dollars be found in circulation in 2009.

This first post will contain the rules that are being used.
The second post I will keep updated with a list of the coins remaining to be found for the following list of US coins that may be found in circulation.
-------------------
Indian head pennies
Lincoln wheat pennies
Lincoln memorial pennies
Lincoln Annivery pennies
Silver 3-Cent Pieces
Nickel 3-Cent Pieces
Shield Nickels
V-Nickels
Buffalo Nickels
Jefferson Nickels
Barber Dimes
Mercury Dimes
Roosevelt Dimes
Barber Quarters
Standing Liberty Quarters
Washington Quarters
Statehood Quarters
DC and US Territories Quarters
Seated Liberty Half Dollars
Barber Half Dollars
Walking Liberty Half Dollars
Franklin Half Dollars
Kennedy Half Dollars
Morgan Dollars
Peace Dollars
Eisenhower Dollars
Susan B Anthony Dollars
Sacagawa Dollars
Presendential Dollars

The following coins are also set up for tracking in my spreadsheet, but until some are found they will not be listed in the second post.
Flying Eagle Pennies
Seated Liberty Dimes
Seated Liberty Quarters
Seated Liberty Dollars
Trade Dollars


Here are the current rules (will be adjusted if necessary as the year goes along):
1) The list includes all regularly issued date/mintmark combinations of standard US and Canadian coins.
1A) If a coin has multiple varieties (i.e. Large Date/Small Date, Large mintmark/Small mintmark, Type 1/Type 2, etc). then each variety will be listed separately. I will also keep a more generic listing for those times when it is not clear which variety is found and the poster can not provide a picture or the coin can not uniquely be identified.
1B) Error coins and die varieties count, but only as a date/mintmark combination. In other words the 1955 DDO penny, would only count as a 1955 penny.
2) The list includes all date/mintmark combinations that were not intended for circulation such as coins from proof sets or mint sets.
2A) If a proof coin also has a standard issue coin with the same date/mintmark combination it will only be listed once unless there is a unique way of identifying it such as silver versus clad. In other words Silver proof coins will be listed separately.
3) Coins must be found in circulation, (rolls from the bank, in the "take a penny" jar at the local gas station, in change from the store, from slot machines at the casino, etc.)
4) NOT counted, coins found while metal detecting.
5) NOT counted, Coins picked up prior to 2009.
6) NOT counted, coins found buying others coin collections, old piggy jars at rummage sales, etc. as they were no longer truly in circulation in 2009.
7) Counted, only coins which can be identified (either by legible dates or using marking that are a single year type such as the 1883 No Cents V-Nickel) count.
8) Counted, coins which can be identified only after treating with acid so long as both the date and mintmark can be identified.
9) NOT counted, coins with counterfeited dates/mintmarks except as their original date/mintmark combination, if it can be determined.
10) Counted, a cumulative list of commemorative US coins will be kept, if reported.
11) Counted, US coins found in any country in the world, so long as they are circulating. In other words a Us coin found in Canada counts.

Also, I will be keeping a cumulative list of the different countries from which foreign coins are found. But some additional rules will apply for foreign coins:
12) Foreign coins must be found in the US or Canada and they cannot be transported in by travel out of the country of origin. (as that would make it too easy)
13) Since Canadian coins are found quite readily in US bank rolls, I decided to add tracking sheets for the follow Canadian coins as well:
13a) Any Canadian coin found in Canada that has not yet been found in the US will be changed to Blue
13b) Any Canadian coin that has been changed to Blue will be changed to Red if later found in the US.
Canadian penny
Canadian nickel
Canadian dime
Canadian quarter
Canadian half dollar
Canadian dollar
Canadian 2 dollar

****************
* Important Note
****************
I plan on tracking the different finds listed in all other topics as well as ones listed here since I read them already, but if you want to be sure I don't miss something enter it under this topic.


Regarding what to report:

I will assume the following "common" recent dates will be found so there is no need to report them:

Lincoln Pennies:
* 1959 - 2009 Philadelphia (except for 1960 small date)
* 1959 - 2009 Denver (except for 1960 small date)
* 1968 - 1974 San Francisco (except 1970 small date)

Nickels:
* 1960 - 2009 Philadelphia
* 1960 - 2009 Denver
* 1968 - 1970 San Francisco

Dimes:
* 1965 - 2009 Philadelphia
* 1968 - 2009 Denver

Quarters:
* 1965 - 2009 Philadelphia
* 1968 - 2009 Denver

Half Dollars:
* 1971 - 1974, 1976 - 1986, 1988 - 2001 Philadelphia
* 1971 - 1974, 1976 - 1986, 1988 - 2001 Denver

Dollars:
* 1980, 2000 - 2001, 2007 - 2009 Philadelphia (I would list 1979 as well, but I am not which is more common narrow or wide rim)
* 1979 - 1980, 2000 - 2001, 2007 - 2009 Denver

In addition, if a coin type that is was listed above is found, report it. Although I don't expect many/any other coins to be found in circulation, it is still possible.

Happy Hunting in 2009!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

$195 in dimes nets

1990 Belgium 1 Franc

HH
-GC
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

Wheaties:
1940s
1954s
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

Bahamas 5 Cents - 1984,1985 - 1 Cent- 1985

Canada - 5 Cents -1979

Mexico - 1 Peso - 1998 - 50 Centavos- 1993

Panama - Un Centisimo - 2001
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

Buffalo nickel 1936
susan B $1 1979-P (Narrow rim), 1979-P (Wide rim), 1979-S Filled S, 1980-S, (got these all out of the same $25 roll WOOT!)
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

Clad Ikes:
1972d
1976
1977d
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

1957-d Roosevelt
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

1927 Merc
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

Found 2 Franklin halves on 1-5-09
53-D
58-D
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

Buffalo Nickels - 1916, 1918, 1919

Bahamas-

5 cents - 2004

Canada-

Nickels- 1987,1989

Mexico-

1 Peso - 1997
20 Centavos - 1995
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

Wheat pennies:
1925
1938
1942d
1950


Canadian penny
1945
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

1920s penny.
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

found a 2008S (clad) US half

b
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

hellsbells said:
GMan00001 said:
DrDetector said:
hellsbells said:
found a '57 slq yesterday....first slq of the year...wOOt

You should specify further. Are you saying an 1857 seated liberty quarter?

Or maybe a 1957 silver quarter?
I thought it was a 1957 slug..... :P j/k....yeah more details needed...


ya it is a 1957......i also found a 1929 walker

FYI: Without the mintmark listed, I won't add these. I know the 1929 walker has to have a mintmark, so I am not going to add either coin until I am sure what was really found.
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

TreasureFiend said:
Clad Ikes:
1972d
1976
1977d

Which variety of the 1976 Ike? 1 or 2?
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-05-2009 at 12:44 AM Central Time..

GMan00001 said:
TreasureFiend said:
Clad Ikes:
1972d
1976
1977d

Which variety of the 1976 Ike? 1 or 2?

Ok I just checked, its a Variety 2. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-12-2009 at 10:48 AM Central Time..

GMan,

You can mark off a 1959-D Franklin Half.

It also looks like you missed a few from my earlier post here they are:

1948 Roosevelt Dime


1951-S Franklin Half
1954-D Franklin Half



1971-D IKE
1972 P Variety I IKE
1974-D IKE
1976-D IKE Type 2
1976-D IKE Type 1
1977 P IKE
1978 P & D IKE

Do you want me to post every find separately or can I just modify my first post of each tracking update post?

Thanks,
65GT350
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-12-2009 at 10:48 AM Central Time..

1944-P nickel
1956 Roosevelt dime
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-12-2009 at 10:48 AM Central Time..

1944 Canadian Nickel 8)

HH
-GC
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-12-2009 at 10:48 AM Central Time..

65gt350 said:
Do you want me to post every find separately or can I just modify my first post of each tracking update post?

The ones I am most likely to miss are any modifications to an original post. Although I don't post updates to the tracking list daily, I update my spreadsheets at home as I read the posts and I don't reread each post looking for updates or edits. So if you update something after I have read it, it is much more likely be missed.
 
Re: Tracking List for 2009 - Updated 01-12-2009 at 10:48 AM Central Time..

found 93 & 97 Cdn nickels

b
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom