Trade Bell info

lonnieb

Aug 18, 2010
Howdy all! Hopefully some of you can educate me on a trade bell. I participated in a dig with an archaeology group on the upper Missouri squarely in Blackfoot country. The goal was to establish the location of an early trade post based on non-indian evidence exposed low in the bank of the river. During this dig we found the upper half of a copper or brass (bright green patina) jingle-type bell. Sorry, I don't have a pic, but the diameter of the half was approx 9/16". The bell appears to be stamped material and the eyelet basically looks like a cotter key in the hole with butterflied ends. If anyone can help me with ID or origin, I'd really appreciate it!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

lonnieb

Aug 18, 2010
Thanks Lucas. Excellent reference. I'll have to extend an extra thanks to you. We also found an item that looks nearly identical to the flesh scraper made out of the leg-hold trap mainspring featured in that report. We were scratching our heads on that one.

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
lonnieb said:
We also found an item that looks nearly identical to the flesh scraper made out of the leg-hold trap mainspring featured in that report. We were scratching our heads on that one.

Cool find! Gun barrel scrapers are more common, but the trap springs are well known, and definitely fur trade/Native.

OP
OP
L

lonnieb

Aug 18, 2010
My wife saw you are from Wisconsin and is bugging me to ask you to arrange a tractor-trailer load of juuso baked cheese sent to Virginia.

OP
OP
L

lonnieb

Aug 18, 2010
No store in this area, but are you talking about hard tack biscuits? I'd take
juuso cheese over those any day!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread