Trailside Mortar

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Something like this is called a trailside mortar because they obviously were not portable, and must have been used communally. This one was moved where it sat in Goddard Memorial Park in RI, and into the pavilion area. The park is located in an area called Potowomet, on Greenwich Bay, where the Narragansett held Summer festivals.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how long it was used by the deep hole in it and being so deep how they got the finished product out.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a object you would not wont to pack around, but if I found one of that size I would have to hire a crew to get it home. Thanks for showing it.:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wonder how long it was used by the deep hole in it and being so deep how they got the finished product out.

This mortar was actually originally located at the base of another very large rock or outcrop, which had a well worn trough running down it, with that trough or deep channel terminating directly above the basin in this mortar. Whatever was being processed, it involved two rocks.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting that Charl. Here is a dry pic of the bowl of the one from WVA. At first I was sure that is what I had found. After some research I came to the conclusion that is was from running water? It was found on the edge of a big creek, but was still in the creek enough to where higher water would have ran over top of it. After looking at the one you posted now I am not sure? What do you think? IMG_0150.JPG IMG_0187.JPG

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for posting that Charl. Here is a dry pic of the bowl of the one from WVA. At first I was sure that is what I had found. After some research I came to the conclusion that is was from running water? It was found on the edge of a big creek, but was still in the creek enough to where higher water would have ran over top of it. After looking at the one you posted now I am not sure? What do you think? View attachment 1360521 View attachment 1360522

I thought it looked like a mortar before, and even more now. It looks battered right around the periphery of the depression. I don't have a lot of experience with mortars, but that looks like one to me.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about them either.Kind of hard for me to distinguish natural from altered with stuff like this. I never had a second opinion about it before,always just thinking it was natural. But that is great news, thanks for the help .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions