Transporting Aztec Gold

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Unless you are very careful where you detect, and you've gotten permission to do so, there's more than a decent chance you'll lose your machine before you have the opportunity to find anything.

You can save yourself quite a bit of trouble if you learn the laws, rules, and regulations before you go. And you follow them once you are there.

Should you find something, Mexico has a number of antiquities laws. Trying to smuggle something out of the country that should stay there is a very poor idea.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Having proper permission from the owner of the land is certainly a wise start. The next step is to understand the law regarding anything you find. If you look into it, you'll see some very significant differences in the laws in different countries. If you wind up in jail you'll have plenty of leisure time to study them, but it would be too late.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Aztecs were a civilization centered around central Mexico in what is now Mexico city.

The Maya are a much older and more developed civilization that centered around southern Mexico and south into Central America.

The Aztec people didn't exist exist until 400 years after the last major Mayan cities were built. The Aztec civilization began in 1300 AD and lasted about 250 years. The Mayan civilization began in 2,000 B.C and lasted 3,600 years..

The Aztec used cacao seeds for money. So did the Maya. No coins. There were some hammerhead copper tokens used for exchange in Aztec culture but not gold or other coins. The odds of finding a gold Aztec coin in a Mayan ruin are exactly zero.

Since 1972 by law all antiquities from Mexico belong to the Mexican government and it is illegal to sell them or to export them out of Mexico.

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have the opportunity to go to Mexico out by the Mayan temples and do some metal detecting.. By SOME chance I would find some kind of Aztec coin or something, Kind of far fetched, But who knows... How would I get that back to the states without Mexico wanting to confiscate it??
Loose lips sink ships. Any chance you had of recovering anything were just ruined. This forum is pretty rules compliant (with good reason).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might have the opportunity to go to Mexico out by the Mayan temples and do some metal detecting.. By SOME chance I would find some kind of Aztec coin or something, Kind of far fetched, But who knows... How would I get that back to the states without Mexico wanting to confiscate it??
You do realize you are on the largest treasure forum in the world asking how to smuggle antiquities out of Mexico.

Even if found on private land ...... By law all antiquities from Mexico belong to the Mexican government and it is illegal to sell them or to export them out of Mexico.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember no political comments.

OP
OP
T

The Slider

Greenie
Oct 3, 2005
Castroville, Texas
It's OK. I was just curious. I didn't know it was THAT big of a deal. Everything fell through anyhow. The man didn't ask his wife about having people on their property and they had a big fight. She will only allow family members on their property, So everything is off. :( I was really worried about going to Mexico anyhow, Didn't wanna come back with my head in a duffle bag! hehehe

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The Slider - Sorry to hear your plans for a vacation in Mexico fell through. I've been there many times (last visit was a few months ago) and I have always enjoyed myself. Perhaps another time...

The advice you received here remains the same -

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was really worried about going to Mexico anyhow, Didn't wanna come back with my head in a duffle bag! hehehe
Yeah we avoid that problem in Mexico by leaving our duffel bags at home and keeping our heads firmly on or near our necks. It's a valuable skill in Mexico. :thumbsup:

Seriously - do you know of anyone coming home with their head in a duffel bag? 99.99% of Mexicans are just like you and your neighbors. They don't want your head or your duffel they just want to go to work each day and spend evenings and weekends with family and friends. The only real difference is the different languages and Mexicans have access to great food cheap. We have McDonalds and Olive Garden expensive.

You should try Mexico. It's a lot safer than you imagine. And it's worth it just for the food.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread