What's new

Trash Pit Questions

itzyoboyandrew

Sr. Member
Joined
May 13, 2015
Messages
498
Reaction score
422
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So an old farmer i know likes me a whole lot and is building a house in an old town, the property has one of the orginial old city trash pits in the back of it (the property is located on/next to a drop down which is where the trash pit was) And before he builds the house he wants me to go through the pit.

The trash pit was used from late 1800s to 1970s and one of the people i know who actually used the trash pit, says he wouldnt be surprised if it dated to the mid 1800s.

So my questions are: What should i look for in this trash pit besides bottles? Im guessing i use a shovel to get through the cans and bulk trash but at what point do i stop using the big shovel, what signs should i look for?
 
Three questions first:
1) What state? That will help identify soil and weather conditions.
2) How large an area does the dump cover?
3) Is there a time limit to go through it all?


If there's a time limit, you may be quite limited in what you can look for - skimming rather than searching.

Another question is, how will the finds be handled - all yours? split half/half? all owner's? play it by ear?

What happens if you get hurt out there? Will you be covered under your own insurance or under his?

Other than that, can't wait for you to "dig in" and start showing off your finds!! :thumbsup:
 
if it was used for that length of time by a town of any decent size, I think you're going to need something better than a shovel to get to the old stuff. The last things added would be on top most likely. Ask the farmer if he can round up a back hoe and dig you some big holes to look around in.
 
I would be mostly concerned about how much modern trash has been heaped upon the old.If garbage trucks were involved up into the 1970's there may be lots to dig through. I f there is a single road into the dump site, I would go to the far back side of what would have been the trash site(assuming it is large) and do some shovel test holes. Shovel tests are basically you digging several holes in a concentrated area as wide as the shovel scoop down three feet or so. This will help you determine whether to start a trench in the area or move on. These shovel tests are done in the archaeological field with good success at getting a better understanding as to dig or not to dig....without much wasted effort. Hope you find the older level without too much trouble.
 
Going to the trash pit in an hour. And thanks for the tips villagenut will definitely try that. And now to answer kcm's questions.

State? South east georgia - swampy.
How large of an area? Im not exactly sure but i imagine a decent size being it was used by most of the town (small rinky dink town tho)
Time limit? Im not sure either, getting several hours today, will ask if i can come back (depending on the results of today, size of pit ect.)

I think the finds will be mine, I will give some to the farmer if he wants some though, just out of niceness since he did invite me (i didnt even ask/know about it)
Probably my own insurance will cover injuries... but im not exactly sure... Lets hope for the best!
 
I would be mostly concerned about how much modern trash has been heaped upon the old.If garbage trucks were involved up into the 1970's there may be lots to dig through. I f there is a single road into the dump site, I would go to the far back side of what would have been the trash site(assuming it is large) and do some shovel test holes. Shovel tests are basically you digging several holes in a concentrated area as wide as the shovel scoop down three feet or so. This will help you determine whether to start a trench in the area or move on. These shovel tests are done in the archaeological field with good success at getting a better understanding as to dig or not to dig....without much wasted effort. Hope you find the older level without too much trouble.

I dont think trash trucks are involved, they stopped using them when they had access to public dumps/dumpsters.
 
I hit one old trash dump in MARYLAND. It was a colonial estate, now a county restricted park. The Archies tried it first with there tipical 1' deep 6' square test area. Didn't want to waste there time. I got permission to hunt it with my detector. It was loaded with mostly old junk. broken everything. It was basically a waste of time to me. I had to turn in everything that I found. Came up with one boat anchor and 4 musket barrels. They were welcome to them. That was my first and last dump.
Gold hand.webp
 
All I can say is, Good Luck!! I hope it turns out to be a real treasure trove!! Gets pretty dang hot/humid down in Georgia - hate to think you'd be doing all that work for nothing.

Have you considered seeing if the farmer could bring in a backhoe or something? Maybe help get down to some promising areas....hopefully without wrecking anything?
 
Well it seems to be more of a "dump area " than a "trash pit "
Will go back with a probe, and try metal detecting the dirt road to it to see how old the place is, the info i got on the age was from a guy who was talking about a different area. The farmer however said its about 100yo or more but he wasnt sure, most of the stuff is right below the surface, tried digging deeper but it wasnt really a pit it was an area, probably 3 acres, there going to build a house there going to see if i can go after they have done some hackin. I did however find a savannah ga coke bottle.

In this places defense its kinda hard to probe with a shovel.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom