Treasure Cart

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I recently put this cart together to hold all of my stuff when traveling far out into a field, so I wouldn't have to come back to my car every time I needed a different tool for the job.

It is aptly named, the Treasure Cart.

treasurecart1.png

Setup for right-handed swingers, you tow this puppy behind you with your left hand as you sweep. It weighs way too much to hold it dead in your hand, but because it has the wheels and is fairly balanced it glides along and doesn't even feel as heavy as if you were carrying a shovel in your hand.

Seen in the photo left to right: Deep woods OFF, cloth to put dirt on, throw all of your clad in the velcro pouch, mister bottle for your face or to rinse off a coin (you can unscrew the mister part to get more pressure), in the bucket is a probe, plastic shovel, digging tool, short shovel, and a portable seat/storage unit. I would usually carry a towel around the lower handle for wiping off my sweaty face (with mister feels great - keeps you going).

treasurecart2.png

Here we see: Zytel probe, lock back knife, car key holder, some pens, package of 10 AA's, extra battery pack (charged!), oh yeah and there is a piece of tape on the bucket... just in case you need it. Also if you notice the bucket is sitting on it's own lid loosely, to give it more of a base and to keep it from falling through the triangular formation of rods. This lets you break down the cart easily enough if necessary to get it in your car. I just toss it in the back seat.

treasurecart3.png

treasurecart4.png

Here we see what's in the seat/storage: Headlight, Finds box with cotton, earbuds, ibuprofen, and a bag full of stuff that you can scan to figure out "what does that sound like again?".

treasurecart5.png

The seat gets you pretty low to the ground but I'm not sure just how practical it is to sit on and dig. Maybe if the ground was really wet or muddy. I didn't really like kneepads.

treasurecart7.png

You can also kneel on this pad... this works pretty good actually for those deep holes, and also for wet or muddy ground.

treasurecart6.png

Put ALL of the trash in here... there's plenty of space! I was also storing some drinks and snacks in there, but it's recommended to put the drinks and snacks in a plastic bag so they don't get all dirty. Keeping the drinks out of direct sun will help keep them cool too.

Yep, I just got that shovel... as a temporary replacement for the Lesche Groundshark that I'm getting. I can already feel this shovel wants to just snap in half.

Well that's about it. Let me know if you want one and I'll tell you where I got all of the stuff.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really very cleaver of you...big time... I am impressed.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is an awesome and clever idea. Thanks for posting. I have tried to use and old golf bag, but not a lot of room for the little things. Could you please post where you bought everything. Thanks.

PS. Great pics, too.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow,toooooooooo much for me but you'll never have to go back to the car :thumbsup:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really a neat idea. After seeing your post, I noticed the ad in the Big Lots flyer of a foldable cart with wheels 15"x13"x33"...kinda looks like a milk crate on wheels at the price of $10. Looks like it would work also, but I like your set up better.

http://www.biglots.com/Specials/WeeklyAd.aspx?sid=1051&style=f&p= ad on last page (Page 8

:wink: RR

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Outstanding !!! You get the MacGyver award...BTW, this is something I would have done...

Attachments

• 200px-MacGyver_intro.jpg
    200px-MacGyver_intro.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 858

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beef it up with some inflatable wheel barrel tires
they will hold up better in muddy farm fields
macgruber.jpg

the handle on those little shovels are POS
the handle will bend before the rest gives out

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great set-up Rootmaster!
Like was said, I would add bigger and wider wheels.
Maybe a can swinger with ice and beer- don't forget the umbrella!
I guess a stereo is way out of the question LOL.
Good job.

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all of the wonderful comments! MacGyver is my all time favorite TV show so that's a big compliment. Thanks!

The cart was purchased from Wal-Mart for about $15.
The bucket boss tool bag and bucket fishing seat was purchased from Farm-n-Fleet for $10 and $9 respectively.
The foam pad is at most garden stores for $5.
5-gallon bucket is obviously Home Depot ;)
I just ziptied on the 1" PVC pipe and stuck a bike grip on it.

I was actually thinking of building one of these out of just PVC pipe and putting my own wheels on it. I would use some 10 or 12" bike tires mounted on a threaded rod. If it was PVC it could even be made to have different racks for different things... like a short rack for just the bucket, or a longer rack for the bucket and a small cooler.

Hope this sparks some ideas for anyone wanting to build something similar.

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Thanks EdleBrock, those are good tires too but I didn't think I would be able to find something like that. That's definitely perfect for the beach. I wonder how he locks his cart up at the shore... :)

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
BUMP!!!!! What, no first aid kit?.......NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread