Treasure from Eleuthera

Laura

Oct 10, 2007
I visit Eleuthera a few times a year and particularly like to beachcomb on one of the Atlantic side beaches. I've found old pieces of black (dark green) glass, pieces of glass with bubbles, kickups from bottles, etc. in this area. This is my latest find and I have no idea what it is. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Attachments

• objectfromsea.jpg
    objectfromsea.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 546
Upvote 0

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Laura, welcome to TNet!

The pic reminds me of a rolling pin without the wood. How long is it?

Happy hunting and don't step on any of that glass!

Nat

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Laura
Welcome to Tnet
You might want to post your find in Shipwrecks ...alot of the guys there might know what your find is and they dont stray to much from the shipwreck forum....
Is it bronze and how long is it. I was thinking it had something to do with ropes as a winding tightener device. Maybe some type of Belay pin.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Laura:
Ten years ago, we found and salvaged (with a permit) what I later ID-ed as the Brig Baltic, bound from NYC to Galveston, Tx. The location of that site (we reburied the hull after doing the salvage) is on the north side of the island. If you're in the area of Spanish Wells, ask for 'Nick M.' (He may have moved to Marsh Harbo) and he can take you to the site. Here are some of the artifacts that Nick kept as part of the division: (http://historicsitesandshipwrecks.com/auction/index.asp). This may help if you find anything similar in the area.
Don....

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Nunchucks.....sorry I couldn't resist ;D

Looks pretty cool whatever it is.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Natman said:
Hi Laura, welcome to TNet!

The pic reminds me of a rolling pin without the wood. How long is it?

Happy hunting and don't step on any of that glass!

Nat
Agree I was thinking the same thing

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hookahbob

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2007
nice find! It's called a norman pin which used to go through the wood bitt at the bow of a boat.a bitt is simply a block of wood fastened to the fore deck for securing a boat.
Its called a sampson post if it goes through the deck and fastenes to the hull frame. To much info? A good example of the pin today is found on many small boston whalers.. Go to boat trader and punch in 13 or 15 foot whaler , and you will see your pin. good luck! hookahbob

hookahbob

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2007
ALSO-----
It could be a belaying pin used to secure running rigging. Whitout damaging it , see if it unscrews apart. That will somewhat tell you of its age.
hookahbob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread