Treasure hunt find, helping a friend. Need civil war buttons info.

JenniferC

Mar 28, 2024
Hello, I'm new to the group and excited by all the great info you guys have to offer! I have a friend who's going through all his family's stuff and he found several items that I can't find on Google lens etc. There are 15 buttons that are all the same made by the Waterbury manufacturing company in Connecticut. He doesn't know much about what position or status he held except that he led pickets charge at Gettysburg? Idk. I'll attach photos. There is one that is larger than the others. It has like a coat of arms or maybe an a academy insignia on it that I can't find anywhere. It doesn't have anything on the back. If anyone knows anything about these, I would appreciate your insight. The front of the (15) say United we stand, Divided we fall" on the front and has (2) men shaking hands. ("Klein Brothers"?) I'm attaching a couple pics. I'm really puzzled about the single one that's larger and different.
received_3770895903236153.jpeg

Attachments

• received_3771093309883488.jpeg
    received_3771093309883488.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 14
  • received_957939979048446.jpeg
    received_957939979048446.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 15
  • received_316171374471388.jpeg
    received_316171374471388.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 13

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm new...he found several items that I can't find...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country)...
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because of the civil war ancestor story, I regret to have to tell your friend that all of the buttons in your photos were made in the 20th-Century. For example, the button backmark saying "Waterbury Co's Conn" dates from 1942, when the firm's name was changed from Waterbury Button Company to Companies (plural). Note, the firm changed its name back to Waterbury Button Company (singular) around 2005.

The button which has a rectangular shank/thread-loop) dates from no earlier than the 1940s. It is called a "self-shank" button because instead of the loop being a separately applied piece, the back itself forms the shank.

RedCoat is correct, of course... the button showing two standing men shaking hands is a Kentucky State Seal button, which in the civil war era was worn by soldiers of the State Militia. But the last of the official state militias became US National Guard units in the very-early 20th Century, and stopped wearing their State insignia buttons.

Now, state seal buttons tend to be worn by State Police and various state Government officials, in various agencies.

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions