Treasure hunting on my birthday

Jedediah

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2007
I got a chance to detect a house built in 1848 yesterday with my three kids.

We found a full size iron Ax head up by the house.
What was cool was what we found by the spring house.
spring house.JPG

I kept geeting a strong signal just under the water so I dug about 6 inches into the dirt that was under the water.
There I found a Jar lid! Every treasure hunter dream!!

dig.JPG

I did take a picture of the Jar lid but I will.

After pulling out the lid I was still getting a signal so I dug some more, and some more, and some more.

after about an hour, because I don't have very good equpiment I found this coin.
coin.JPG
Anyway to find out what this is?

it was getting late and I had to go, so that's all I got.

The best find of the day didn't come from the metal detector it was from my little girl.

Next to the spring house in a bunch of rocks she found what I think is a clovis point!
photo.JPG

Upvote 3
Nice finds! Congrats and HH!

nice find
love the spot your at keep locking there is something good there

liptloop

Happy birthday. That sure looks like a great place to hunt there.know clue on the coin though sure is a crusty little feller.way to go

Not sure about the point being a Clovis, but looks like very nice material. What an awesome way to spend a birthday!

how do you know if it's clovis?

It can be difficult to tell a clovis from other paleo points, but I would post it in the Native American Artifacts section and ask what people think. There are plenty of members with enough background to ID it for you. Try to get front, back and profile pictures. That would be very helpful.

What kind of crust does it seem to be on the coin. Does it seem to be metal or does it seem more sandy? If it seems like bubbly metal, probably not much you can do. If it is more sandy or flakey, you can try a soak in water or in lemon juice to see if it will dissolve any of it. Probably not much left underneath but worth a try.

Happy Birthday and many more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back