treasure in northwest missouri

JDS

Jun 8, 2007
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
ML4000/ML E-Trac/Ace 250/Antique Groundhog
There are a few. The best known is in Nodaway County. Not sure I spelled that correctly but you can find it on the maps. There are a couple of lost towns also. Most of everything is on private property. How far north west are you. I live in KC. :hello:

JDS

Jun 8, 2007
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
ML4000/ML E-Trac/Ace 250/Antique Groundhog
I have been doing research on the Bernard Talbott lost treasure in Nodaway County. I have a pretty good idea for where the property was. I hope to take a shot at it this summer. If you google treasure Nodaway county there are a number of stories. There is a lost town West of King City. There is a old park just south of King City I have been wanting to hit also. When I get a chance I will dig up some more interesting tid bits about your area. Lots of history in the NW part of the state. :hello:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Out of your area but..... My Grandad told me a story. Around 1900 an "eastern" magazine had a story about stolen gold from a military shipment near Calhoun,MO. Henry Co. He said people would just show up & start roaming the "100' Bluffs" south of Calhoun on Tebo creek. Locals kind of got a kick out of it. I have never heard this story from any of the local historians.
What I can say is a friend of mine found a stone arrowhead in a dead tree in that area. I surveyed the Gvt. Boundry on Truman Lake. Just south of Calhoun is the Northern most point of the lake. The first 1/2 mile of boundary lies in the middle of Tebo Creek. To find the middle of the creek I had to let myself down the bluffs there on a rope to hold a prizim on the face of the bluff to get the distance across the creek. The next 1/2 mile has both banks and the third 1/2 mile also lies in the middle of the creek. The owners of the Right Bank took an easement.
This is rough country and during the first World War a moonshiner had a Gvt. man trying to find his operation. Locals would find the Gvt. Man hiding in the woods. He was never successful .
Anyway, theres the tale and the general location. Mayhaps you can find out more of the story. I do have to tell you. I worked in that area for several months and every time I was around the bluffs I felt as if someone were watching me. KGC?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread