Treasure Signs and Symbols 101

Hadji
The 'change direction' '3' - can be written - tilted or on its face or or its back, in line from the last
directional marker - some where in the line this number may pop up - it may be on a pointer
rock sometimes not, just on a trail marker rock. Once you make the course correction,
look for the confirmation mark....Dign has said that if you do take the wrong turn, to look
for a miniature rock map, showing the lay out of the trail..I havent found this yet myself
but everything else he has said, has worked for me..maybe I havent seen one of these
is that I have pretty much stayed on the correctly marked trail most of the time.

The Alpha Triangle numbered rock is different. It tells you of the orientation of the numbers
when you find the triangle in the field. Go back and read Old Dogs comment on this- he has
posted the original idea on this subject..I defer to him and his knowledge.
hope this helps
rangler

Hadji,
regarding your post #171
I have seen something very similar on the 2nd page of "The Spanish Code to Treasure" A handbook for decoding Spanish Petroglyphs.
You might need to contact the author, L.J. Layton for his rendition of it.

Here is another website for information on Petroglyphs in Calif.

Okey dokey

rigmover2307 Sir , In reply 170 Could you talk about that marker and what it means. I have seen something very similar here in west Texas.

Hadji,
Here is a pic of the sign that is similar to your post #171. I found an address for the author:
Lou Layton
3145 S. 106th St.
Omaha. NE 68124

okey dokey

Attachments

• sign (Large).jpg
    sign (Large).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,534
VICTORIO said:
rigmover2307 Sir , In reply 170 Could you talk about that marker and what it means. I have seen something very similar here in west Texas.
Could you be more specific. thie pics in170 are of Angel Peak as seen from the junction of Largo canyon(the longest dry wash in the US) and the San Juan river and from my house. Largo to the San Juan has been the established route of travel north for thousands of years. early man used it, the pueblo used it as did the conquistadors, Spanish, Mexicans and even today. the pic in post 168 is same peak but from a mile away and on the opposite side. in 170 the circled part is angel peak, bout 15 miles away, the red line represents the approximate location of the main trail in the first pic as it came up largo wash, and in the second as it followed the san juan.
Im confused as to the location of the marker due to its sheer size it represents a main trail marker, but is is very out of the way with the triangular hoyo only visible from the back side of a box canyon in the badlands beneath the peak. :BangHead: Its meaning due to its locatin are fustrating to me.

Thank You, I Will PM.

rigmover2307 said:
Its meaning due to its locatin are fustrating to me.

It is a mountain they used as a landmark,
That is probably the long and the short of it.
Nothing to get frustrated over.

The really cool ones are the ones they built, because there weren't enough real ones out there.

Old Dog said:
rigmover2307 said:
Its meaning due to its locatin are fustrating to me.

It is a mountain they used as a landmark,
That is probably the long and the short of it.
Nothing to get frustrated over.

The really cool ones are the ones they built, because there weren't enough real ones out there.

then what would be the point of that sweet hoyo only visible there, where i took the pic from? one has to travel 10 or so miles up the badlands to see it, then turn around and go back to the juncture with the san juan valley.Iv got my hands full with the sites iv already rounded out, and cant really devote any time to this one, wich would be easy if i had it figured out, but since i find it so intriguing(sp) its very difficult to put into perspective. kinda like when yer at work and trying to remember if you turned off the cofee pot before you left the house.

I understand .

It probably points the wanderer back to the main trail.
As many as there were ... you would be in good shape to find any of them,
they were all pretty much common knowledge.
It was a matter of survival.

Thom

Jason,
I dont know if you have the time and inclination, but if take your way points
and plot them on an interactive online topo map, you can get the birds eye
view, it helps immensley when it come to sorting things out.
rangler

rangler said:
Jason,
I dont know if you have the time and inclination, but if take your way points
and plot them on an interactive online topo map, you can get the birds eye
view, it helps immensley when it come to sorting things out.
rangler

working on doing that the old fashioned way with the 1/24 blm topo maps. my whole main area is covered on two maps. gonna go pick those up next week at the blm office when i go get my rock permit.

Hi Guys ... I have news of Mike Hawkeyes Treasure hunters Field Notebook
The notebook is still available to US customers via payal for less than $20

Im outside USA so i got my money refunded with this note.

Name: Treasure Hunter's University
Email: [email protected]
Note from Merchant: I'm sorry but I no longer accept or ship orders outside the U.S. If you have a contact within the U.S. I will ship to them and then they can ship the book to you. Thank you for your interest in the book. Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original transaction details

Description: Treasure Hunters Field Notebook,
Unit price: $19.95 USD
Quantity: 1
Amount: $19.95 USD
Total: $19.95 USD

Speaking of books, gang
Here is one that is must have for the serious THer
The name is legendary by now, Kenworthy... oh sure you have the
occasional malcontent who puts his books down but really just between
you and me they are really trying to push themselves UP..!
spanish monuments lg im.jpg
Spanish Monuments and Trail Markers that lead to Treasure in the United States

http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Monum...5612/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1245465441&sr=1-2

2 new from $49.95 and 2 used from $120
From the Author quote...
"A HEART IS THE SIGN/SYMBOL FOR "GOLD" both on written, coded and drawn maps as well as TRAILMARKERS AND MONUMENTS. The origin of this symbols meaning did not come from the Bible, as most did. This meaning came from an old Spanish adage: "A SPANIARD'S SOUL MAY YEARN FOR GOD, BUT HIS HEART FOREVER YEARNS FOR GOLD." This relationship of heart and gold was reinforced in symbolism by the historians who wrote about Cortez' response to Montezuma when Montezuma asked Cortez the question: "-WHY DO YOU SO MUCH DESIRE GOLD?" and Cortez answered "-BECAUSE WE SPANIARDS HAVE A DISEASE OF THE HEART WHICH CAN BE CURED ONLY BY GOLD." - So look more than twice when you see a heart carved on a large rock in the desert or on a mountain side, if it was made by the spanish there is a gold mine or golden treasure nearby. The King of Spain ORDERED all treasure/mine trails to be monumented according to Spain's drawings of markers/monuments. The Palace of Governors in Mexico City and Santa Fe (New Mexico) INSTRUCTED the exploration groups, haciendas, mining/explorers etc. in the basics of both monument meanings and map codes.

Both Mexico City and Santa Fe regulated and enforced the King's rule, received the King's 15% to 20% fee from the haciendas/miners etc., required the trail monuments to be built so that if they wanted to "inspect/check" the operations without notice, they could easily find and follow the monumented trail into desolate mountainous terrain. Also, if all miners were to meet with some great disaster, the King of Spain could again locate and re-establish the mine - or retrieve the hidden treasure by following the monumented trail.

Therefore, the trail markers to and from were required as well as treasure/mine maps. Note: All treasure/mine maps symbols/signs etc. were also identical in use and meaning throughout this New World. Also, a standard or special list of "measurements were used on treasure/mine maps because Spain could not operate with hundreds of different codes, measurement and different monument/marker meanings when they were dealing with so many mines in the New World.

If we think about it for a minute, it becomes very clear that Spain was extremely wise in requiring "special and specific" codes, measurements, markers and monuments on treasure trails and maps in the New World. Spain had literally thousands of mines (gold, silver, emeralds, amethysts, mercury, etc.) in Mexico, Columbia, Cuba, The United States, Peru, Guatemala etc. with many of them in desolate, distant and dangerous areas of the world. With such a number of mines they could not afford to have separate or different meanings in codes, symbols, maps and treasure/mine trail markers and monuments. Therefore, for example, even though each province/state in Spain did have a different "vara length" and the length of a league may have changed three (3) times in 300 years, but TREASURE TRAIL MONUMENTS, CODES AND MEASUREMENTS NEVER CHANGED.

The kings of Spain required "road signs" monuments and trailmarkers to be constructed about every 1,200 feet both to and from the treasure/mine. Spot just any one of these while fishing, hunting, hiking or treasure seeking and follow the trail--to a prize bigger than the lottery."

This book has over 100 actual photos of classic Spanish markers & monuments (in the field) as well as their meanings and instructions.
~~~
The book is out of print and the cost is now double its original price but still worth the money
for the data, the pictures and examples shown in this book. Kenworthy for those who dont know
had a benefactor/investor, one John Wayne,,yep that John Wayne, the Duke himself. Charles has
passed on now and is survived by his son Tiger Kenworthy but he was
very through in his investigations, he actually found a way to get info out of the Archives in Spain
and the Vatican..He never knew what he would get, as the information was random , but unique
original and he was gracious enough to publish it for the little guy like us, to have a shot at learning
enough of the code to the break the rest...now the books themselves are doing better value wise than
my 401k which by now is a 200.5k! lol ouch it only hurts when I laugh!

If you buy this book you will learn quicker than the 'trial and error' method that I and others have
had to use over the last 2-3 decades.
hmmm now how do you send hints, that you would rather have this than another striped tie?!
rangler
Father's Day is Sunday, do you know where your Dad is??

Dear group;
I would like to debate the validity of Mr. Kenworthy's statements, not because I am a malcontent, nor a naysayer, or even a skeptic, but because I happen to have some small amount of knowledge pretaining to the colonization of the New World.

First, Mr. Kenworthy states that "historians who wrote about Cortez' response to Montezuma when Montezuma asked Cortez the question: "-WHY DO YOU SO MUCH DESIRE GOLD?" and Cortez answered "-BECAUSE WE SPANIARDS HAVE A DISEASE OF THE HEART WHICH CAN BE CURED ONLY BY GOLD."
In all reality, nobody can state conclusively that Hernan Cortez actually uttered those words, or even any words which were similiar in context. None of the known historical documentation regarding Cortez's period in Mexico attributes Cortez to having stated anything even remotely similiar to the above statement and it is from contemporary writers that Cortez is attributed with having stated this.

Much has been written regarding Cortez in a bad light, when the truth of the matter is that only THREE people could have possibly known what Cortez said or did in Mexico and they were, Geronimo de Aguilar, a Francisian Friar who accompanied Cortez and acted as his interpretor, Francisco Lopez de Gomora, a chronicler who spent his life in Seville and who never set foot in the New World but who supposedly recorded everything which Cortez told him upon his return to Spain, and Bernal Diaz de Castillo, a fellow Conquistador who is considered to be the most accurate chronicler of the Conquistador period. In fact, it was Bernal Diaz himself who penned the now-famous line "We went there to serve God, and also to get rich."

It is the narrative The True Story of the Conquest of New Spain, written by Bernal Diaz de Castillo that is now considered to be one of the most comprehensive and factual books on the conquest of the Aztec nation by the Conquistadors and it tends to neither downplay events nor embellish them, rather he writes of the events as they occurred, and often times with a humanistic element which was quite rare for the times.

The King of Spain ORDERED all treasure/mine trails to be monumented according to Spain's drawings of markers/monuments. The Palace of Governors in Mexico City and Santa Fe (New Mexico) INSTRUCTED the exploration groups, haciendas, mining/explorers etc. in the basics of both monument meanings and map codes.

Supposedly, in 1983 Mr. Kenworthy stumbled across a 116 page letter outlining in very specific detail, the regulations regarding mining and exploration of the New World. Included in this 116 page transcript were 34 pages of coded symbols and signs which were to be used to on maps and in documents and also their respective meanings. Also, there were supposedly 7 or 8 pages of drawings which referred to how mine trails were to be marked throughout the New World.

Logic and common sense would dictate that if such a document did in fact exist, then why didn't Mr. Kenworthy bring it to someone's attention? Or, lacking this, why didn't Mr. Kenworthy keep the information private and find all of these alleged treasures himself? Instead, Mr. Kenworthy chose to publish all of these wonderfully hidden symbols and codes in a book, which can be purchased for a mere 49.95$.

Also, history tells us that the width and breadth of Spain's New World colonies extended from the tip of Argentina all the way to California, yet oddly enough, treasure signs and symbols can not be located anywhere in South America and most parts of Central America. It seems that these signs and symbols can only be located in the Southwestern US and to a lesser degree in Northern Mexico. I find it highly unusual that the King of Spain would insist on marking and coding all mine sites in the Northernmost colonies whilst leaving the richest and thus the most valuable mines, which were located in South America, unmarked. This simply doesn't pass the common sense test, my friends.

Both Mexico City and Santa Fe regulated and enforced the King's rule, received the King's 15% to 20% fee from the haciendas/miners etc., required the trail monuments to be built so that if they wanted to "inspect/check" the operations without notice, they could easily find and follow the monumented trail into desolate mountainous terrain. Also, if all miners were to meet with some great disaster, the King of Spain could again locate and re-establish the mine - or retrieve the hidden treasure by following the monumented trail.

This makes it sound as if Spanish Royal inspectors were about to pull up to the mine's entrance in a new Ford pickup truck then hop out and immediately begin a site survey. In order for a Royal assayer to *inspect* a New World mine, that person would have had to wait for favorable winds in Spain, then spent an estimated 2 to 3 months on the high seas, then disembarked and waited some more while an expedition were formed in order to make the journey to the mine in question. Typically, a trip of this nature would have feasibly taken a year or more, and that is merely to arrive at the mouth of the mine. Due to distance and travel constraints, mine inspections without notice would have been pretty much an impossibility during the colonization period.

Therefore, the trail markers to and from were required as well as treasure/mine maps. Note: All treasure/mine maps symbols/signs etc. were also identical in use and meaning throughout this New World. Also, a standard or special list of "measurements were used on treasure/mine maps because Spain could not operate with hundreds of different codes, measurement and different monument/marker meanings when they were dealing with so many mines in the New World.

Again, if there were one set of symbols/signs utilized throughout the New World, why aren't there any symbols/signs in South America? Also, if this were true then there wouldn't be ANY lost Spanish mines, yet there are a great many well documented mines which were abandoned throughout the years for various reasons and have yet to be re-discovered. Off of the top of my head I can think of the Chivor Emerald Mine in Columbia, which remained lost for over 200 years before it was re-discovered. If there actually existed a *King's Code* then the mine could have feasibly been abandoned when the natives revolted, then quickly and easily relocated after the crisis has passed, simply by following the symbols/signs, yet it remained lost for over two centuries while hundreds of searchers looked in vain for it, before finally rediscovering it, 60 miles north of Bogota.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar said:
I would like to debate the validity of Mr. Kenworthy's statements...

Then why not begin a new thread of your own,
specifically dedicated to such an exchange of ideas and opinions,
rather than attempt to redirect discussion in this one?

Dear PBK and others;
I did not attempt to redirect this discussion. I merely wished to express my personal opinion on some points which were claimed as being factual and to present a different side of the discussion already in progress. I must now confess that I do have an ulterior motive which directs my actions.

Having spoken with members of various governmental agencies, such as the BLM, USFS and others at various times in the past, I've heard over and again about how "those nutty treasure hunters are destroying our nation's natural and historical resources". This is especially valid in areas such as the Superstition Mountains, which I've had the distinct pleasure of visiting several times in years past, and I must state that the damages imposed on our natural resources there are appalling indeed.

Open holes dug everywhere, defiled native American petroglyphs, trash strewn about, the list is seemingly endless and it is because of these abuses that ALL treasure hunters are being classified as nutcases by the likes of employees of the BLM and the myriad of environmentalist groups. In fact, my initial interest in the validity of treasure signs and symbols began in the late 1980s and was piqued by a statement from a BLM employee, who stated to me that "there are some who insist that graffiti and rocks will lead them to vast riches and in the process they are destroying the landscape looking for it".

More and more, we are seeing previously accessible areas closed off to public access and treasure hunters are being viewed as a "fringe group of lunatics". These are not my words, unfortunately they are from yet another BLM employee, one who processed mining claims and regulated commercial mining interests on federal land.

If the current situation is not turned around quickly, then very soon we may see ALL federal and state lands closed to ALL forms of treasure hunting, including MDing and gold panning. The reason why the governmental and environmentalist group are lobbying to have public access lands either limited or completely closed off is not because they fear someone finding treasure, rather it is because they are afraid of the damage which may be caused to the surrounding environment.

I am a treasure hunter, in fact I am a lifelong treasure hunter and I've personally witnessed countless acres of public access land being closed off to treasure hunting since the mid 1960s and every time I inquire as to why, I am told the same story. This is why I chose to pursue a more historical aspect to my technique, not so much as an aid in locating lost treasures, but as a valid reason for being on public access lands and to accquire an air of professional interest.

Believe it or not there exists many people who are NOT receptive to treasure hunting and who tend to regularly read this and other like forums and they also tend to base their respective opinions of the whole upon the writings of a few. Therefore, in light of this fact, what may seem to be a harmless diversion to some is in fact quickly becoming a major point of contention in the battle for our public lands to remain open access for all to enjoy.

I have always attempted to represent the historical facts in all discussions and to dispel with myths, legends, rumors, alternate histories and conspiracy theories and to remain open and objective in all matters relating to the sport of treasure hunting. If we do not self-govern our methods, techniques and actions, we may very quickly find ourselves in search of a new hobby.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back