Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say yes - however knowing what they mean might be something only the creator of symbol knows. Will assume that's an "S" for south but arrow could be pointing west. Got a vcr tape on pirate tree markings in FL. I'm sure finding such markings in the everglades is a snap - in fact I'm heading there now... NOT! A total waste of money but if you ever see TNB - that'll mean treasure nearby but dug by me. rotflmao

all joking aside i think such markings are very rare unless placed there by practical jokers. But then that's just my opinion based on what I've seen so far. Mayhap someday I'll be proved wrong by my own stumblings in the sticks.

bhelk

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2004
I know this was posted a while back but............I hunt in the woods.this is a young aspen tree ............proably marking the direction to make a deer drive.................have done it myself....

Virgil

surlydog

Dec 19, 2004
rock hill s.c.
Alright, I have one to add the the "kitty"..I have a Holley tree here in S.C. that is 85" rd. about 4" up from the root system.. I know it is very old as Holleys grow very slow. It has markings from about 5 1/2ft. down all around the tree..Here's one ODISTOST with a , best discribed bird after the last T..The first T has at the half way down point a diamond shape coming out from it at first galnce looking like an F ..but its not..another is an oval with three bars vertical in the cented side by side...I will try to post some photo' if any one is interested...

SD Goldpanner

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2004
Does the signage on the tree appear "old"?
If it is old, old, could be KGC.
That method was very popular for them to use.

Bob M.

surlydog

Dec 19, 2004
rock hill s.c.
Yes the carvings are very old, The carved/ removed wood are is 1/2 to 3/4" in places and the "o's" have become oval in shape. I'm not, nor claim to be an expert, but I would wager they are 150-200 yrs. old. I will try to get some photo's on this weekend so everyone interested can see what I mean..Happy New year to all...P.S. just recieved a Garrett CX with the Blood Hound coils..I own a couple of Whites and must say Garrett lacks the overall quality..Hope the machine works well, giving it a try in the AM..

surlydog

Dec 19, 2004
rock hill s.c.
;D Here is a photo..not he tree is still standing..this picture turned out the best..The base of the Holley is about 85" and the carving (this one) spans about 4 + ft...I noticed an oval in two places when I was there , with three bars in side (VERT.)...hARRY

Attachments

• MVC-013S.JPG
    MVC-013S.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,521

Tigr50

Greenie
Sep 28, 2003
Roswell NM
Hi
I don't mean to sound boring, but the tree could be a property boundary marker, noting the name/names of the owners of the land at that time.
Cheers
Deb

Tigr50

Greenie
Sep 28, 2003
Roswell NM
Oh, and a boring P.S.:
It's the worst sort of idea to use a tree as a treasure marker because they get cut down, die and fall down, get carted off to fuel a cookstove, or get burned in forest fires. I think that's why people go round and round with treasure maps that show trees as clues to where something is buried.
Cheers
Deb

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tigr50 said:
Oh, and a boring P.S.:
It's the worst sort of idea to use a tree as a treasure marker because they get cut down, die and fall down, get carted off to fuel a cookstove, or? get burned in forest fires.? I think that's why people go round and round with treasure maps that show trees as? clues to where something is buried.
Cheers
Deb
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?I was wondering when someone would catch on to this, Deb? ;D THANK YOU

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the problem with tree markings is 1) people mark trees just to let you know they were there, or scored there, or whatever there.

2) as a tree grows for 100 years or more - most markings are either long gone or you can no longer tell what they said or symbolized. So so-called pirate markings are probably long gone etc.

the upside is this - new caches are always being hidden. So you never know but I'll wager most are nothing more than wild goose chases in the woods. I've been looking for it for 20 years but I'm real close now...? ;)

Randy-KY

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2003
Kentucky
Your Aspen tree? I guess that is what it is, is a puzzle. You have to figure it out to get to the next marking. Once you do it will probably point you somewhere else. Keep going until you reach the end. Read the book "shadow of the sentinel", it will give you some insight. You may be very surprised as to what you find when you put it all together! This can take a very long time, but very much worth it in the end.

surlydog

Dec 19, 2004
rock hill s.c.
Hi ..enjoy the input..I don't agree with all. This tree was part of a plantation and was farmed all around it.The words on it are not names, Ive checked english, latin, common study in the 1800's, Cherokee and Spanish..This is not to say theres a "pot of gold" buried deep under the roots. I put it on this forum because of its age and for some reason it was potected over the years. My land was once part of the Catawba Reservation here in S.C. and borders the current one now. In the last couple of days I have learned of a couple others with old carvings (have not seen them yet).Southwest from me about 2 miles west of Hwy. 21 going to Fort Lawn..I will trow out a tidbit here for those in the area. In the Rock Hill Lib. is a collection of eary maps on one circa. 1850's hand witten is the statement noting Spanish coins found while digging a well 40 ft. deep...There is a mark denoting the spot..This is location is west of the Catawba river and west of a mapsite of old Catawba villige from the 1700"s..The notation is very old..the 40ft depth is a real mystery.. Harry P.S..Its an American Holley tree

surlydog

Dec 19, 2004
rock hill s.c.
Had to add one more thing..as to life and death of a tree, and the reasoning of using one as a marker..I'm originaly from AZ..I have seen several ducmented markings on cactus left by the Spanish. Which leads me to belive these fragile markers were left with the entention of a timely return. ..Something else I have learned..30+ years ago, I dug up a wagon that had been pushed off a mesa, it had no doubt carried a family moving to who knows where. I found a number of interesting items..10 years ago I was relating the story to someone, and they asked to return to the spot. could I still find it? ..I would have bet everything I owned that I would hike right to it..spent (2) days never could find the same spot..things change, in this case a lot over just 20 yrs...This was in the Tonto Basin country,lot of hitory there....Harry

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to the upper left of ODISTOST I see an HT what is above that. ? BTW Maby it's because I live on the east coast, But to me , I would think Any Tree that was here when the Spanish were, would be long gone. when people speak of SPANISH tree markings, it is WAY beyond my Comprihenson. that dosn't mean there may be something to your tree, I just HIGHLY doubt SPANISH :)

surlydog

Dec 19, 2004
rock hill s.c.
Interesting observation..I frankly did not look at it that way ???..I'll go back by it tomorrow, I have fri off this week...For all the tree markings cynics out there..I have located by asking just about every one I come in contact with..if they know or have heard of other old carved trees. I have located two other places besides mine in a fair;ly straight line running south ..the last being about 20 mi's away..As to who did them?? why?? couldn't say..but they were done "many" years ago. I am a skeptic by nature but do find these an interesting puzzle...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread