Tree markings

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
? ? Coinshooter, As Surlydog said, he couldn't find an old wagon he went back to find after looking for 2 days! Now you might see the reason for marked trees. there ment to be easily seen, could contain usefull information on them or as not to draw to much attention to the tree maybe a heart with letters in it. Anyway its purpose is as a flag. Like here I am. ? Start your search here. I've found this so. And not far away a marked stone, not always large. As could be same with a log laying against a tree in one of its forks. For it may not be inportent to find a wagon, but it would a Treasure. ? Monk

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
You might try looking at the cravings from the bottom up and brekaing it into sections of letters to find words or numbers that make sense. Reading from the top down the frist 3 letters could be the number 100 and so on.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Don't usually jump in on posts with this many replies but will add my 2 cents to this one. I used to be interested in studying the Dominguez/Escalante expedition as it happened to have passed through areas very close to where I lived in western Colorado. The expedition was charged with finding an overland route from the mission at Sante Fe to the west coast missions in California. These two Franciscans are widely accepted as the first white men to venture through the western interior of this country in the year 1776. One of their markers springs to mind. It was a cross carved in an Alamo tree (cottonwood), along the banks of the San Miguel River. Bare in mind that there was no treasure involved here. Just staking out likely spots for future Spanish settlement. This tree was still standing in the 1970's, and the cross could still be seen. As for the tree in the original post, it looks like an aspen. Though it was the largest living single organism on the planet until recently, (it was outdone by a parasitic fungus), aspens only live for 40 years. Of course as someone else posted, these people were planning on coming back ASAP to recover their treasure. I don't think anyone would bury treasure with the thought that someone else should dig it up! Also, aspens are very readable where actual age of markings are concerned. I have some material that discusses how the bark explodes over time around scarring. In order for a marking to be readable, a very fine line must be cut into the bark. A wide or deep cut in the bark turns into an undecipherable blob. The bark literally turns inside out at the cut. Most relevant posting here is by Tigr50. If you were going to depend on a marker, would you do it on a tree amidst a billion other trees that are all waiting for a lightning strike?~CO2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread