What's new

Triceratops jugal spike

Kfinn0319

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2023
Messages
25
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
IMG_20250513_220039.webp
IMG_20250513_220039.webp
IMG_20250513_220237.webp
IMG_20250513_220158.webp
IMG_20250513_220114.webp
IMG_20250513_215944.webp
IMG_20250513_215835.webp
IMG_20250513_215348~2.webp
IMG_20250513_215501.webp
I believe this to be a jugal spike from a triceratops. I stumbled across a very amazing and fascinating site tucked away in a gulley at the beginning of a wash while on a walk. The wash has been exposing a graveyard of sorts with many more, I believe, still to be exposed. It appears to be a herd of triceratops of all ages and sizes.
 
Upvote 17
not dinosaur bones... there, said it for all y'all....
To just pop in to say that is not even close to helpful seeing as I have posted obvious fossil material collected from the area. Mandible, teeth, etc. To not even ask any follow up questions about the site, where the "rocks" fell out of, if these "rocks" stand out compared to everything else nearby, etc, etc tells me your "expertise" is as extensive as your participation in this thread.
 
not dinosaur bones... there, said it for all y'all....
To just pop in to say that is not even close to helpful seeing as I have posted obvious fossil material collected from the area. Mandible, teeth, etc. To not even ask any follow up questions about the site, where the "rocks" fell out of, if these "rocks" stand out compared to everything else nearby, etc, etc tells me your "expertise" is as extensive as your participation in this thread.
 
not dinosaur bones... there, said it for all y'all....
To just pop in to say that is not even close to helpful seeing as I have posted obvious fossil material collected from the area. Mandible, teeth, etc. To not even ask any follow up questions about the site, where the "rocks" fell out of, if these "rocks" stand out compared to everything else nearby, etc, etc tells me your "expertise" is as extensive as your participation in this thread.
 
Look everyone! I am completely aware that the last time I posted was immature on my part, to say the least. I thought I had something amazing and was too stubborn to accept the facts. That caused some tension in the community and I threw out some insults that were not called for and argued with everyone which also was uncalled for. For what it's worth, I feel very embarrassed about that. I am sorry for that. I do enjoy this fossil hunting though and believe this to be something. If I am wrong, I will accept that fully. That being said, if this is what I see and believe it to be it would be big. I understand why you are so willing and eager to dismiss this given my past posts. With an open mind you have to see at least the possibility that something is there. I didn't just post this without doing extensive research to find comparible references of similar finds. I made sure I wasn't crazy on this one. Thank you DizzyDigger for your kind words and shared excitement. Even if it was sarcasm, because I am excited. I am reaching out to the proper authorities, but this is difficult given the location. Please be patient.
 
I am struggling to identify what species the partial mandible belongs to if anyone has an idea.
 
no, your fossils should look more like this given the area you are hunting in... not free standing boulders

1747940535744.webp
 
I didn't get your pics or attachment, but that is where follow up questions would've helped. These are not just free sitting boulders. They fell out of a hard red clay encasement at the top of the hill and rolled or slid down the hill. There are large spots where all of these boulders fell out of some with boulders still in them. There are no other sights like this anywhere near at any hilltop eroding away. Just here. The wash eroded back and these fell out from different spots.
 
I just watched a time lapsed video of them extracting a T Rex fossil out of the exact same type of sandstone. Not similar, but exact. The fossil skeleton was deep within the sandstone and they had to process it down using a picture to guide them as to not damage the skeleton. These are very fragile fossils which require extra care. I am only finding these things because natural eroding exposed them already, but they are degrading rapidly. The fossils still encased could be complete fossils of different animals grazing and hunting.
 
IMG_20250522_123904.webpIMG_20250522_123923.webpIMG_20250522_123932.webpIMG_20250522_123947.webpIMG_20250522_123959.webpIMG_20250522_124120.webpIMG_20250522_124137.webpIMG_20250522_124206.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20250522_124033.webp
    IMG_20250522_124033.webp
    358.6 KB · Views: 43
I am not spending anymore time onsite than I have already. I am waiting for replies from local agencies to show someone more knowledgeable and experienced than myself. I am actually leaving now to ask the staff archeologist for the national parks to assist me. He would also be able to provide further resources in the case this site is special. I am also hoping for a staff paleontologist or at least one we could contact if needed. The point being, I will not be "wasting" anymore time and effort there. I'm actually surprised at the outright rejection from so many, without even trying to see everything as I do. I am excited at the possibility of this being an amazing site, as I would've assumed everyone else would be. Even if it is a massive stretch as you claim. Actually you have rejected even the possibility of this being anything. I am fully aware and ready to accept that is nothing. I'm really not stubborn and obsessed about it. I'm really excited about the possibility and would be very disappointed to hear it's not what I thought, but it's ok if that's the case. I really thought there would be more excitement from everyone because of the impact it could have on the entire field. I'm also a bit curious why some of you had to come post, with absolute confidence and certainty, that is nothing and I'm wasting my time. I didn't start a thread in "what is this rock?", or "help with ID!" I posted on today's finds and shared what I thought I had and what I thought I found. A couple of you had to come and tell me how I was wrong about everything with absolute certainty, even though there is absolutely no way for you to accurately make that claim. Even if it turns out you're right and I was just dreaming, was it really necessary to post it in my thread? That's a whole lot of ego. If you're wrong though. Wouldn't that be something?
 
I'm actually surprised at the outright rejection from so many, without even trying to see everything as I do.
I did try to see what you see ... I just don't see it.

Even if it turns out you're right and I was just dreaming, was it really necessary to post it in my thread?
Just trying to help. It would be no different if you posted a big hunk of pyrite thinking it was gold -- someone would point it out, hoping to save you time, trouble, and expense.

If you're wrong though. Wouldn't that be something?
Yes it would, and I'd be happy for you for your discovery.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom