What's new

Tricks of the trade

m bryan

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
691
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Location
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been metal detecting for about four years now and have learned a few things about the hobby. But am a novice compared to many here. Would like to know some things you guys and gals have learned over the years. Techniques, tid bits, do's, dont's, where to hunt, how to hunt........maybe some tips about something you learned by experience that you wouldn't mind sharing. Theres some good books out there but would like to hear some things first hand. Any area of the hobby......throw us some bones and let us chew on them for a while. lol
 
I've been metal detecting for about four years now and have learned a few things about the hobby. But am a novice compared to many here. Would like to know some things you guys and gals have learned over the years. Techniques, tid bits, do's, dont's, where to hunt, how to hunt........maybe some tips about something you learned by experience that you wouldn't mind sharing. Theres some good books out there but would like to hear some things first hand. Any area of the hobby......throw us some bones and let us chew on them for a while. lol
Research is where its at ..........Google is your friend!
 
Get out and create a test bed of the same items (doesn't matter if copper, silver etc as long as you have several the same) each one being buried an inch deeper than the one before. Then whatever detector you have use it to check the results of adjustments on your detector.
Start by finding the maximum depth or correct I.D. you can get, then see how much further you can get down the line as you bring various adjustments in. Also check how sweep speed affects the I.D. and depth as it becomes more important the deeper your detecting.

With your T2 when you have it set for the maximum depth you feel you can get compare the Tone I.D. modes (most often recommended) against the "beep and dig" 1 and 1+. On most of my sites tone I.D. loses depth against beep and dig.

Don't trust anything in a book or on a forum until you have checked it because ground conditions vary so much that what's right in one area could be just the wrong thing in another.

As for research I was mad keen years back but realised that if you can do the research then others have as well. Obscure facts that can be picked up can still pay off but easy to obtain information could mean your years late. Now its any ground I can get on though if there's a water source, spring etc so much the better. On the beach it pays to know just how deep you can detect (none of the rubber tape measure stuff !). If a beach is sanded in and the extra sand hasn't been taken from the low tide mark then its better to call it a day and look elsewhere.
 
I have been detecting since 1974 and the best advice I can give you is to dig everything!
 
I am new also, I do what U.K. Brian suggested and it helps me to adjust my detector and my brain.
 
Best place to start is just using common sense... :tongue3: It also depends what you're looking for too.. Don't get your hopes up high looking for Civil War Relics in Wyoming.. Realistically, for general hunting just stick to places that have tons of traffic. Beaches, parks, sport fields, etc.. The great thing is that people are very well know for losing expensive stuff :laughing7:
 
Just talked to an old timer today (not a MD'er) He told me something that I didn't know but maybe you all did. Back in "the day" it was customary when building a barn to throw what ever change you had in the footings area.(He was talking concrete footings) My take was that this had to start somewhere so why not before they poured concrete footings? Worth a swing.
 
BATTERIES - Dont leave home without them. :BangHead:


I have also heard stories of builders putting a shiny new silver dollar under the mud sill to date the build. Every time I remodel an older home I am looking everywhere.

HH
Steve
 
When in doubt...dig it out i started that today in an old park and came up with atleast 5 of the 11 silvers today it would ring silver and then ring iron so i dug more and got more ...
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom