Tried homemade MD knife today

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I made a knife for MDing. I wanted a good long blade, sharpened on both sides, made of strong tempered metal, and a thick, comfortable, rounded handle. I decided a lawnmower blade would be excellent metal to use, since it is tempered and acts like spring steel. I got one, cut it into shape with the cutting torch, ground it to final shape with angle grinder, cut the wood handle and attatched, ground the handle and knife tang to shape, and then did the final touches with a belt sander to the blade and handle, then finished the wood with stain and polyurethane. It works great, and doesn't look too shabby either!

I figured this worked so good, and is so simple to build, that maybe someone else might want to use the idea. I can jam the blade in a vise and stand on the handle and bounce and it won't bend.

Attachments

• 0219a.jpg
    0219a.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 347
  • 0220a.jpg
    0220a.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 0221a.jpg
    0221a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
But will it cut grass? ;D J/K Looks great to me 8) and also when ya pull it out everybody will definitely stand clear.

B

BIG61AL

The digger looks great. It reminds me of a roman short sword.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
C,

very nice.

Is that the first knife you made?

Looks like you may have had some experience
prior to this one.

Again, very nice job.

have a good un.............

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It's my first real knife. I made one when I was a kid one time, but it's not really useable, lol. I made another several years ago, but it was just for looks and not very useable either. Thanks for the comments.

Stoney, funny you mentioned everyone standing clear, lol. I was detecting with it, and a man came up, looked at me standing there with that knife in one hand and my detector in the other, and started stammering and beating around the bush trying to ask me in the nicest way possible if I had permission to be on the property. It wasn't until later that I realized his actions were probably very much influenced by my big-honkin' knife...hehe ;D

R

rvbvetter

WHEW!! I can see how it could intimidate. Very nice job!! HH

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you done fine job making this knife.now that i have sucked up,can you make me one. free i hope ahahahahah

tinpan

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it slices it dices it chops he hops and it doesnt even make julian fries what ever the hell those are !!LMAO killer blade inspirational

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
nice knife :). from some of the last post,s about dogs trying to bite, they might want to make one too :-\ good luck and happy hunting to everyone :)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheese,

Nice job with the knife. Mower blade? Huh? I guess that explains the hole in upper center. How long is the blade? I have a couple of new blades from my last mower, I might give it a try.

Ed

Raoul

May 5, 2004
Perth West Australia
Hey Cheese great knife mate,here in Australia they would put you in jail for carrying it, the laws here are so bloody strict that it wouldn't surprise me if they banned screwdrivers as well.

We will have to call you Spartagus from now on. ;) Raoul

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Real nice work Cheese. I love custom work. What better way to have something to fit your needs. I'm currently trying to make a custom treasure pouch to integrate my finds, trash, tools and my pinpointer into one efficient setup.

GL & HH,

DugHoles

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
The entire knife is about 12 1/2 inches long. The blade is about 8 1/2inches long. Not all lawnmower blades are suitable, just look at the blades in a store and pick one that is straight and flat and long enough to make the blade. I just used some scraps of figured ash for the handle. I got them for free at a cabinet shop. They'll usually give away scraps. I coated the inside surfaces with JB weld, torched holes through the blade, and used stainless steel bolts and nuts to bolt the blocks to the handle. I let the JB weld cure, then ground the handle into shape.

DBugR

May 8, 2005
Goodlettsville, TN
Yah! :o Now that's what I'm needed on the site! Don't have the welder, but I'm inspired to give it a whirl, cause my hands are killin' me with the trowel I use!!! >:( Arrrggghhh! Bye bye roots! Nice work Cheese!

DBugR

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice looking knife. I bet it will make a very good digger.

HH :)
RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread