Large cent, Barber .25, tokens, and more!!! (UPDATE PIC)

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Hi all!

Finally! We hit a good spot. It was a dirt driveway behind an old house scheduled for demolition. I went the first day and found several wheats and figured it was a good place. My wife, a friend, and I went yesterday and today and found the rest. My wife, as usual, came out with the goods. She was the one to find the silver (I haven't found any silver yet). She found a 1944 mercury dime, a 1912 barber quarter and scratched it pretty hard with her knife, a token for interstate lumber company in quitman Ga, a good luck boy scout token with a swastika symbol on it, a musketball, pocketwatch remains, and the swivel looking thing. I found the lock, the large cent in bad condition, the police button, a nickel sized coin with no discernable marks, 2 buckles, a compact, and a copper whatsit about the size of a quarter and twice as thick. It's hard to read the large cent, but after lots of studying and some cleaning, it appears to be a 1817 or 1818. It's definitely a matron head cent.

My friend found a 1938 centavo, some wheats, part of a pocketwatch, and some sort of decorative hook, but I don't have pics of his finds.

Most of this stuff was found 2 to 4 inches deep. My wife usues a radio shack/bounty hunter. I use a Fisher CZ7. My thousand dollar detector versus her 200 dollar unit, and you see how bad I got spanked? Just goes to show that an expensive machine isn't everything.

This is the first time I've ever found any old coins other than wheat pennies with my detector. This isn't the first time my wife put me to shame with silver, lol ;).

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 0226a.jpg
    0226a.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 528
  • 0227a.jpg
    0227a.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 529
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 525
Upvote 0
Re: Large cent, Barber .25, tokens, and more!!!

Definitely calls for a WOW!, also an OUCH! Looks like a great day and lots of fantastic finds.

Cheese!

I KNOW you don't have that little ego hiccup that some men are cursed with now do ya?! :D

Those are some REALLY GREAT finds ya'll! :o

Nana ;)

Nickel size coin is probably a V nickel. They don't fair very well in the ground. Your large cent is not that bad for coming out of the ground. you should see some of the ones seeker and I have dug.

GL and HH

Tim

Thanks all.

Nana...it might seem that way, but it's more frustration than anything. I've been detecting quite a while now, and still haven't found the silver. She hasn't detected much at all, and she hops out of the car and nails all the good stuff! Same thing happened a year or so ago when detecting an old house site in the woods. I couldn't find one single coin, and she pops a new looking merc out of the dirt. I think it was her first detecting trip out.

Don't get me wrong though...I am very happy for her and I'm actually glad she did so well. It gets her into the whole detecting thing, and I am glad to have her interested in it. It's nice to be able to have my wife for a detecting partner.

What an awesome hunt! Great finds by both, nice your wife goes with you, at least she now understands what great pleasures we detectorists get out of the hobby. HH, Mike

Wow!!!, Very nice finds, WTG!!!
Love the old compact, buckle, Police badge, coins, token,, lol ;D
Awesome group fo finds, Congrats! to you both...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

That is a nice haul ....Congrats on the silver coins....But looking at the barber quarter,I think that scratch may have been there already!!!! looks old.....thanks for posting!!! 8)

slammin cheese cool!now spank her for scratching that coin.... ::)

Obviously a good site. I would keep going back until I get absolutely nothing.

Ed

WOW!!! You cleaned house!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great digs!! :o

WOW, what a haul, such a good variety. Finding more valuable coins probably refreshes your love of this hobby I bet.

As for that OUCH, that hurts even me :'(........might need to invest in a pinpointer... ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Yes, but those BH detectors are no good, haven't you read the forum? ;D Monty

Seeker, for some reason the scratch looks dark in the pic, but it's a mirror-shiny scratch in real life. At least it was a common coin, and worn fairly heavy too.

LOL Dekalb...I'll decline a response for the benefit of the forum! ;)

I'm going back tonight for a night hunt. I'll post if I find much to speak of.

Nice finds!! At least they are "all in the family". I'm feeling better about my Bounty Hunter all the time.... ;)
HH,
Bob

Well, I just got back and cleaned up my finds. I found 5 more wheats (lots of them from this site). I also found MY FIRST SILVER!!!! A 1941 washington quarter!

I also found the first 2 nickels from this site tonight. A 1940 and 1947.

Tonight is where the Fisher CZ shined. After all the hours of hunting the past few days, most of the trash and readily identifiable targets have been dug. I cranked up the sensitivity and swept slow and close and found deeper targets that the 2 bounty hunters didn't find. Why some of these coins were deeper than some of the really old ones is beyond me.

Attachments

• 0229a.jpg
    0229a.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 316

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back