Trigger Guard

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like I found a piece of a trigger guard at a Vicksburg, MS site this afternoon. But if it is, I've never seen one quite like it. I feel sure it would not have gone to a traditional musket. Can anyone i.d. this for me? Did it go to a certain type of musket or rifle? I've attached photos from all angles. Thanks for any assistance or comments.

TG1.jpg

TG2.jpg

TG3.jpg

TG4.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the helps guys.....I just got a positive i.d. on the trigger guard piece. It evidently went to a Kentucky Rifle.
It must have been brought to the war by a Confederate soldier.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the helps guys.....I just got a positive i.d. on the trigger guard piece. It evidently went to a Kentucky Rifle.
It must have been brought to the war by a Confederate soldier.

It's part of a Hanoverian style trigger guard. Used on some early 19th C European military guns and flintlock American hunting rifles. My Model F East India Company musket has one (1839). The British Pattern 1842 musket design was based on the EIC weapon. However, the Royal armory simplified the Hanoverian style trigger guard (as well as other features) to reduce the cost of manufacturing guns for the British military.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread