Triple silver day, any idea what these are?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it was more than a tad ridiculous to be digging today haha! The prairie wind was being a total jerk and slapping me around, and the ground was being a tough guy, trying to break my Lesche! Anywhere in the shade was a no-dig zone. The fact that there still no snow makes it impossible to stay in the house.

I didn't dig many targets, being semi frozen makes it difficult. I only dug decent signals, and I recovered these three silver items. The little thing with the "B" isn't marked, but it sounds like silver on the detector as well as when it clinks on the tabletop.

Any idea what the little thin pieces are? One is marked Sterling, and the other has hallmarks. They are paper thin! I found a similar one a few years ago marked CPR (Canadian pacific railway). No clue...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448238259.175326.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448238285.309367.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448238309.972848.jpg

Upvote 14

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Silver in any form makes for a good detecting day. Great to see you can still chip one or two from the tundra lol
"Old English" is a cologne brand, possible it came from a bottle of that brand?
Here's hoping the sun shines and you can put your new digger to work for more silver

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess you haven't heard the fat lady sing yet??? Lol
Hey silver is silver. Nice digs J.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FINDS THERE MR.CACHE

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess you haven't heard the fat lady sing yet??? Lol
Hey silver is silver. Nice digs J.

Nice finds!

Yes, the signals are not sounding as good as the ground temp. drops and the Holiday Season takes the limelight.
About time to hibernate.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver in any form makes for a good detecting day. Great to see you can still chip one or two from the tundra lol
"Old English" is a cologne brand, possible it came from a bottle of that brand?
Here's hoping the sun shines and you can put your new digger to work for more silver

Thanks Ironhorse, I do know of the Old English cologne, but not sure what this item might be. Almost every signal I dig at this spot has broken glass in it, and a short distance away there are tons of spent shotgun heads and bullet casings. My guess is an old shooting range. Maybe these silver bands came off the old bottles that got shot up? In this modern day of everything disposable, it's hard to think that these old bottles had actual marked silver on them. Still not sure if they came off bottles though....maybe?

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
There's an ED&S marked silver banded smoking pipe online. Old English was also a model/brand name used by Loewe & Co, another pipe manufacturer. I wonder if they are bands from old pipes - the band would have gone around the end of the bowl where you'd attach the stem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an ED&S marked silver banded smoking pipe online. Old English was also a model/brand name used by Loewe & Co, another pipe manufacturer. I wonder if they are bands from old pipes - the band would have gone around the end of the bowl where you'd attach the stem.

Interesting, I will go check that out thanks. All three that I have found are creased and look to originally have been a square. Hmm...

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Nick A is right on again with the ID. I found a 1901 ED&S marked pipe that recently sold on ebay with the same EDS and hallmark. Yours has a "A" vs the "B" that is pictured which probably just distinguished year the piece was verified by the assay office so yours might be +/- the 1901 date.

Pic of it here.

EDS Pipe.jpg

Furthermore, the "Old English" sterling band is correctly ID'd as a brand of billiard style tobacco pipes made by Loewe & Co. The Old English script on your piece may also refer to the Old English Curve Cut Pipe Tobacco distributed by the American Tobacco Company. Peterson Pipes out of Ireland has an "Old English" collection of pipes too so the actual pipe it came off of might take a bit more research but we've got the general idea.

As far as your question concerning square vs rounded, I believe then when the sheets were made to put around the bowl where it meets the stem, the contours were that of a square that was then form fitted and sometimes curved around the bowl cylinder shape. However, after being removed it appears sometime took the relatively thin sheet and folded it evenly to make a square shape again. Just my thoughts...

Cool find!

-H

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick A is right on again with the ID. I found a 1901 ED&S marked pipe that recently sold on ebay with the same EDS and hallmark. Yours has a "A" vs the "B" that is pictured which probably just distinguished year the piece was verified by the assay office so yours might be +/- the 1901 date.

Pic of it here.

View attachment 1238786

Furthermore, the "Old English" sterling band is correctly ID'd as a brand of billiard style tobacco pipes made by Loewe & Co. The Old English script on your piece may also refer to the Old English Curve Cut Pipe Tobacco distributed by the American Tobacco Company. Peterson Pipes out of Ireland has an "Old English" collection of pipes too so the actual pipe it came off of might take a bit more research but we've got the general idea.

As far as your question concerning square vs rounded, I believe then when the sheets were made to put around the bowl where it meets the stem, the contours were that of a square that was then form fitted and sometimes curved around the bowl cylinder shape. However, after being removed it appears sometime took the relatively thin sheet and folded it evenly to make a square shape again. Just my thoughts...

Cool find!

-H

Wow, thanks. You guys are good! Looks like that's what I've got. I did some hallmark checking and I came up with 1903, so you were really close hbeaton. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448243773.831677.jpg

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Finds J. I thought you were done for the season.
Way to get out there and kick some butt.
65 degrees here today. :laughing7:

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds! Were you turning your back to the wind to? I was! Only thing I found was my frozen butt dragging behind me! Lol! Glad you got some finds to make it worth your while

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds J. I thought you were done for the season.
Way to get out there and kick some butt.
65 degrees here today. :laughing7:

I thought I was done too! I'm almost 40, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time in my life having a November 22nd without snow. This has been the most beautiful Fall season EVER!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats JC. Nice finds brother! I hope that you are able to get a bit more hunting in before the freeze.

The IDs were just excellent, kudos to Nick A and hbeaton!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came late to the party, yes they went on pipe stems.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool silver pieces J. Cache, and great ID Nick and hbeaton on the pipe pieces.... I would have never guess that. I wonder if someone was throwing out old pipes and they removed the silver scrap and folded it into squares or something. I'm a Brad, so I obviously like that "B" pin (or whatever it is). ha

-Brad

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pic of it here.

View attachment 1238786

Cool find!

-H
This is awesome! I have found two of these as well and could not figure out what they were! Thanks for the ID!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always an awesome day when you dig silver! By the way, the ones I found were folded exactly like yours have been, cooler find now that I know what they are! Congratz man!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Determination rewarded- nice finds!

-- Jeff --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread