What's new

trouble charging excal ii

Duncan James

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2016
Messages
53
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 hours doesn't change the volts on battery. how do I test the charger output?
 
That is not enough time to reach a "full" charge.
 
Needs 12-15 hours to fully charge
 
Measure voltage with volt meter, fully charged battery will be 13.5 to 15 volts... Charger should put out 18 volts measured at charging adapter.
 
image.webpThank you for the replies, but I do know the time required to get a full charge. Battery went from 10.68 to 10.65 after 8 hours. Tested the prongs on the adapter and nothing. Disassembled and found the ground wire disconnected. Rigged with a bread tie at the moment. I read an old post about an aftermarket smart charger with full-charge indicator light. Anyone ever use one?
 
Arrg.
That is a fire waiting to happen... proper solder required .. IF can be done correctly...
OR better yet...
Replace.
last time I replaced one cost me about 75
 
Treasure Hunter can get ya one perhaps at a better price.
 
That loose wire was it. Rigged it so it was making contactand 6 hrs put it over 14 volts. Not impressed with that charging adapter. And a new one is outrageous! Mine would surely be under warranty but $70+ to buy one is a crime especially seeing how cheaply it's made.
 
That loose wire was it. Rigged it so it was making contactand 6 hrs put it over 14 volts. Not impressed with that charging adapter. And a new one is outrageous! Mine would surely be under warranty but $70+ to buy one is a crime especially seeing how cheaply it's made.

You wont see me argue with you on this...

The Excals battery and charging system has been the gripe since day 1 of em.
And they still have not fixed them or re invented it to a logical and realistic... OR even an "equal" to the machines quality as a partner.

It is like they designed the overall dealio... made the housings and electronics,,, then rush jobbed the rest.

Within minutes of the first Excal in my hands MANY years ago I had re-invented / fixed this is my head.
YET eons have gone by and still nothing better from them.

Lame.

BUT... even with this said...
I run an X2 over another machine most of the time...
Them knowing this is why I feel no change has taken place.
The product is selling and still in demand... they feel... "why change it".

I get it...
The ole adage "if it aint broke don't fix it" applies... SORTA !
 
Last edited:
View attachment 1304721Thank you for the replies, but I do know the time required to get a full charge. Battery went from 10.68 to 10.65 after 8 hours. Tested the prongs on the adapter and nothing. Disassembled and found the ground wire disconnected. Rigged with a bread tie at the moment. I read an old post about an aftermarket smart charger with full-charge indicator light. Anyone ever use one?

Yes, I have one myself....Bought it from Kellyco for $29.99, after battery is charged it switches to a trickle charge. I get a full charge after about 4 hours....

Make sure there is gap in both the positive and negative poles of the charger adapter and battery prongs on power cable on excal...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom