Trying to estimate value of lost treasures

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell O Treasure Lovers, In trying to estimate the value of lost treasure, does one just go buy the current price of gold or silver when it concerns bars? I understand not all old bars are refined the same, but are old bars from lost treasure legends worth more than their melt value? Thanks. Homar P. Olivarez

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION. ONE THAT I ASKED MYSELF AFTER SEEING A PHOTO THAT OLD DOG POSTED A FEW YEARS AGO OF A LARGE PILE OF GOLD BARS AND COINS.
I HAVE THE PHOTO COPIED TO MY LAPTOP.
I'LL TRY TO BRING IT TO YOUR THREAD AS SOON AS I RE-CONNECT IT.

YOU MAY HAVE SEEN IT BY NOW. MARKINGS ON BARS WERE WHAT STARTED ME WONDERING ABOUT THEIR VALUES, ONE AT A TIME.

#/80)--

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
:dontknow:
Some may be worth more to collectors. An Atocha bar may be an example.
Those from other legends would seem to as well, if provenance can be confirmed..
A real Jesuit bar melted would probably make some one wince who might have been willing to pay beyond melt value.
The legalities might upset the process depending on varied factors, but old bars of known content should hold greater value to the right clientele than new ones.
If the bars are tangible and content know ,markings and origins clearly defined, they can be assigned an estimated value prior to opening bids vs those bars unrecovered of hearsay.
I can only offer you slightly below spot though, for a thimble-full of bars....:laughing7:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far can you stretch
.01 Troy oz?

15 years or so, collecting cons. And running them thru. My home made blue bowl.

It's hard to find a good spot in Arkansas.

#/$0)--

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread