Trying to find neighbor's ring. Best settings for big gold/ fast hunting?

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
I am mostly a beach hunter with my Nox 600. Currently trying to help a neighbor find her Mother's wedding band, which has great sentimental value. Long story short, it might have flown off her finger while she was jogging. I have a couple of miles to cover... want to move fast, and only hear signals from this gold ring. I will be searching mostly in short grass.

From what I have gathered, I may be best in "Park 2". (I already searched an hour or so this way.) No other settings changed, except sensitivity, which I have dialed down to approx. 15... getting lots of chatter if I go above that...

Should I change recovery speed?

Thanks for any advice. I would love to get this lady's ring back to her!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I admit that I’m not a tech person, but if you find a detector that only indicates gold let me know

OP
OP
J

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
LOL, not looking for a "gold magnet", but rather settings that will null on most targets I may come across. Silver, coins, whatever, I don't want to hear those tones- for this situation, I only want the machine to signal if a rather large, gold ring is under the coil.
I just want to get her ring back to her. I need a "feel good" find. BTW, there is no reward, I won't accept anything.

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am mostly a beach hunter with my Nox 600. Currently trying to help a neighbor find her Mother's wedding band, which has great sentimental value. Long story short, it might have flown off her finger while she was jogging.
If your getting lots of chatter and the target is on the surface you might as well go to beach modes. You are probably experiencing EMI. IB at 6 recovery at 6.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
A mothers wedding ring can be tricky. I have found a few and, not found even more I looked for. These rings can be a solid gold ring, and strong tones, and other rings are dainty with decorations and perforations, and those will possibly even read like iron. Get yourself a good description of the actual ring.

OP
OP
J

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for the responses. We looked in the most likely places that it would have flown off her hand. Not able to find it. She showed me a pic of the ring, it's kinda big and chunky. The ground around here is dry and solid right now, so it would be right on the surface. I don't really see traveling her whole jogging route. She didn't ask me to anyway, and she's not sure it came off then anyway. Wish I could help her, but I tried.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purity of the gold can change the reading too, along with the size of the metal in the ring. I'd start with numbers between 13 and 23, and refine those depending on actual size and gold purity.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is a fresh drop and on top of the ground you might want to turn your sensitivity down. You don't wanna be detecting stuff past three or 4 inches.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Bart asked if it is a FRESH DROP turn your sensitivity down. Get a gold ring about the size of the one lost and crank sensitivity down till you only hear the ring. First go over a area with the sensitivity up so you can hear all that's there. Then put the ring there and crank the sensitivity down to only hear the ring !! (If it is a fresh drop)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread