Trying to get a handle on things

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beach in OCMD for what will probably be the last time until spring.
It was one of my most frustrating day of hunting ever. This was not because of the lack of targets, which were few and nothing over a dime.

Here is the frustrating part, about 2 hours into the hunt I broke my fluorescent green, bolt on handle assistant. 2nd one in as many months, don't think I'll be buying another one. Both broke in the exact same spot. Then to make matters worse my wood handle started showing signs of cracking about 6 inches above the scoop. Time to call it a season.

I refuse to quit...

No more wood handles for me. I'm going to spend some time in the shop this winter tinkering with new handles. I've got a couple ideas, I'd love to hear from everybody around here. Let me know about materials, design, length, diameter of handle. I'm open to all options because as of now, I cannot find anything that is designed for our needs. We have to modify it to fit our needs.

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I know the handle assist your using but think it is the adjustable kind. I have never broken a Suspot scoop handle in all the years I've been hunting. The handle assist Sunspot sells is on their site and it can be bought elsewhere too. Maybe your levering the wood handle to rough instead of lifting it straight up.

http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

If the handle is to strong your just going to break the welds on the basket.

goodmore

Nov 12, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have learned a few things the hard way. A trip to the beach for me is 2.5 hrs.

No more cheap scoops
Carry Spare coil bolts
Batteries!
I don't like wooden handles either
Some guys I know pack spare lower rods and extra scoops

I have even taken spare detectors with me. I have a really old beat up Elite that works fine. I just take the box. If something happens to the Gt I will just slip the box in.

tiggar

Sep 26, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hope you get things squared away "47thelement", you got the right mindset - refuse to give up !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread