What's new

Trying to Identify Japanese Bronze Vase

capt-zero

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2012
Messages
716
Reaction score
168
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have pictures of this in the garage sale finds area, but I thought if I posted this here I might get a little help. I found this vase at a garage sale yesterday. It is patinated bronze and signed by the maker. It looks to me to be Meiji era (a number of other things I bought at this same sale are from that time period). I'm hoping someone here will recognize the marks. Thanks for any help you can give.

DSCN0770.webpDSCN0779.webpDSCN0781.webp
 
What does the bottom look like? That almost looks like it was made from a spent artillery shell.
 
Upvote 0
The bottom is plain. No resemblance to a shell. You should be able to see in the first picture, a rather thick rim, seems unsuitable for a projectile. The metal in the whole vase is about 1/8" thick.
 
Upvote 0
For what it's worth, here's a picture of the bottom. Quite plain, with nothing to indicate trench art. It's funny, but I can find sites to identify silver marks, gold marks, jewelry marks, pottery, porcelian and even glass, but I have been unable to find a single site to identify Japanese bronze marks. Anybody have any links?

DSCN0792.webp
 
Upvote 0
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

That’s a Takaoka copperware ‘plum blossom’ vase. Modern… or late vintage at the very earliest.

Takaoka.webp

https://japantakumi.com/en-ww/products/014-023aa
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom