Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
statement below is from the user manual of a Detector I recently acquired

FREQUENCY
The Golden Mask 7 could work at 4 frequencies - 4, 14, 24 or 44 kHz. This makes the detec-
tor a truly universal machine that will cover all the needs of a contemporary prospector.
In the menu, after each frequency, you will see a number at the third level of the menu.
This is the so-called “frequency shift” - a slight change in the main frequency that helps
eliminate EMI influence of interference's from other detectors nearby. The number could
be set from 0 to 8, the default is 4. Just change this number until you find the best value at
which the machine has best stability.

Can someone tell me if I am understanding this statement about the frequency shift in the GM7

If I am understanding the Frequency Shift correctly is this what it means about the (Frequency Shift) below is the way I am understanding the frequency Shift

I will use 14 KHz so say you are running the 14 KHz frequency, the default shift is 4 and it has 0-8 shift points, does this mean if you stay at the default setting of 4 on the Shift does it mean you are actually running in 14.4 KHz instead of 14.0 then say you switch the shift to 8 you are now running 14.8 KHz

what I stated is how I am understanding the Frequency Shift and if that is the case this GM7 is capable of running a whole lot more frequencies than I was aware of which to me would be a fantastic feature, the GM 7 runs 4, 14,24 and 44 KHz with 0-8 points of frequency shift and default of the four main frequencies with a 4 point shift in frequency would mean to me at the default settings would mean it is running 4.4, 14.4,24.4 and 44.4

Is that how you understand this or would it mean that 14 KHz frequency with a 4 point frequency shift is actually running 18 KHz, I am confused on the Frequencies and the Frequency shift, can anyone shed a little light on this for me

Thanks for Reading

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right that frequency shift is a change to the base frequency. But I don't think you can read that much into the meaning of the numbers. For example, the default setting of 4 doesn't necessarily mean that it adds 4 kHz to the base frequency, or even .4, or any particular number at all. Maybe it's .004 kHz. Maybe it's 17.5 Hz. It doesn't say. All you know is that it's using the fourth choice out of a menu of 8. That's all. I would not see it as meaning that instead of a 4-frequency detector, it really has 32. I don't think that's how it works.

OP
OP
oldkoot

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're right that frequency shift is a change to the base frequency. But I don't think you can read that much into the meaning of the numbers. For example, the default setting of 4 doesn't necessarily mean that it adds 4 kHz to the base frequency, or even .4, or any particular number at all. Maybe it's .004 kHz. Maybe it's 17.5 Hz. It doesn't say. All you know is that it's using the fourth choice out of a menu of 8. That's all. I would not see it as meaning that instead of a 4-frequency detector, it really has 32. I don't think that's how it works.
I do not know, like I stated I am confused as to what the frequency shift does exactly in this GM 7, it is not like a normal frequency shift like these newer tech detector use, like the Legend, Equinox, and the Axiom, it is just different.

I have sent a message to Golden Mask and ask exactly how the Frequency shift affects the four main frequencies in the GM7

I will say when I was messing around with the setting I set the GM7 up in field mode 14 KHz and then sat out on my patio going through each frequency shift and it did seem to affect the depth I was seeing on various coins started out at 14 KHz with the shift set to 0 and it lost depth then started moving the shift up one number at a time, all the way through 8 on the shift at a shift of 6 is where I started seeing the biggest jump in Depth 1-5 seemed roughly the same 6-8 i seen about a inch of depth gain at 7 on the sift another 1/2 inch and when I set it at 8 on the frequency shift it seemed to gain another 1/2 inch but became real erratic at a setting of 6 and 7 it ran really stable but not at 8

the other setting that seemed to help with gained depth is the Disc Depth which seemed to gain a little more depth at a setting of 11, that has a setting of 1-15 push it to 12 and it started to become erratic 11 it stayed stable, this GM7 makes the Legend look like a cake walk when it comes to setting things up, at least I understood what all the setting in the Legend did after a little bit of playing around with it LOL, that disc depth also seems a lot like the Legends IF (Iron Filter) feature in the way it works or seems to work and what I mean by that is the lower you set the Disk Depth the more iron targets sound like really good Non Ferrous targets, set the disc depth at 11 and it seemed like iron targets were right on the Edge of sounding like Non Ferrous targets, every once in a while while set at 11 on the disc Depth a almost good high tone would bleed through if I pushed the Disc Depth even higher all ferrous gave this Gnarly scratch low tone.

The Manual for this GM7 is a bit vague on what all the settings do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread