What's new

Turf war on the beach

joekidwell

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2014
Messages
36
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Greeneville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever get in an argument or altercation while on vacation from the locals that think they own the beach?
 
Jerks live EVERYWHERE..
 

Attachments

  • hasslijn.webp
    hasslijn.webp
    65.3 KB · Views: 126
I have not, but I have no doubt it happens.

Jerk.webp
 
Four years and never even ran across someone with a bad attitude, let alone went to war with them...8 out of 10 go out of their way to be friendly...I live in Florida, the sunshine makes everyone happy. 8-):sunny:8-)
 
Wife and I are heading to Tampa area for a couple months starting Jan 1. Last year I detected numerous times on the different beaches and the other MD'ers couldn't have been more friendly! Can't wait to feel the sand in my toes :metaldetector:

BTW, I'd like to hire a guide and do some Bass fishing.......does anyone have someone you'd recommend?
Merry Christmas everyone.
 
Last edited:
8 out of 10 go out of their way to be friendly...I live in Florida, the sunshine makes everyone happy.

I live in Florida too, and if I catch someone on my property they will be shot.
 
Im not fighting for dirt. Theres enough room for everybody.
 
Beach!? What is a beach? Ain't seen one in a while. Hope to change that soon though.
But, on turf, I seldom run into other detectorists. Even when I have, I give tips on where to hunt.
Peace ✌
 
Yeah, I have a guy that when he sees me he tries to claim turf. A little nasty at the start every time. I wound telling him I owned a property 10 doors down and pointed it out, and asked him which one he owned.

After that he cooled out a bit about owning beach, but started telling me he needs the money from his finds, it's his only way of making a living. Then I told him he should try a job, cause the change would make it hard to pay for the gas in the new Chevy he drives around.
Haven't seen him in about 9 months though. ( they resanded the beach,,, pickins been slim, I am sure he thinks I found everything)
 
I have detected beaches here in central and northern California, Florida and Hawaii and Hawaii is the only place where I encountered an attitude from the local detectorists.
 
LOL, I got lotsa folks digging in my litter box! :laughing7:
It's a big ole beach, cain't one cat, (err, I mean) person, cover it all! :notworthy:


mineallmine.webp

I did have a fellow, would keep coming right up on me and my friend, with his Excal. He wasn't really friendly either, I had to tell him to back off, I was digging a target and he was messing me up. My friend said she got kinda ugly with him, when he started mouthing off at her, some kinda excuseses, "he can go where he wants, free ocean.....etc", we just told him to stay away from us! I guess some feel it's ok to be jerkish towards others, but I find it's a very rare exception, in our community.
Most all detectorists I run across are really nice folks!
 
I've faced off with sharks, man-o-wars, stingrays, and toe grabbing crabs.......of these, I usually let the sharks own the beach when it appears they're carrying an attitude. :laughing7:

As for humans and turf wars on the beach.....can't say that I'd even notice such a challenge if it ever did/has come about. :thumbsup:
 
Hi; I had one guy tell me it was his beach. ALL 1 1/2 miles of it. I politely responded, " Let me just make a phone call to the Police and see if it was true." He left, I stayed. No more probs after that. PEACE:RONB
 
I have not had any issues with other MDers on the stretch on NJ beach I hunt (on season). Most have been quite pleasant and helpful. If they get to a spot first, I say hello, go around and continue on.

Except for one old codger who leaves a trail of gopher holes in his wake. When I cross his holes, I fill them. If they stop allowing MDing on that beach, it will be because of him.
 
Last edited:
Anyone ever get in an argument or altercation while on vacation from the locals that think they own the beach?

simply tell this jerkoff you think he needs an attitude change.tell him go have a shot and a beer and come back when he's in a better mood.
 
A few years ago there was a turf war in Jersey when many were finding ship wreck coins on this one smaller beach, I won't mention any names but word got back to the Feds and last I heard they started filtering everything they pumped in on the next replenishment...No more goodies to fight over now...

I had a fairly good late summer treasure hunting at the ocean and I did have one local tell me as he was passing by that they were going to ban me from the beach. Still trying to figure out who "they are".......
Most of the other locals were very friendly, along with the out of siders vacationing.

And if he happens to read this, I will be back next summer to dig more of your gold.......:skullflag:
 
A few years ago there was a turf war in Jersey when many were finding ship wreck coins on this one smaller beach, I won't mention any names but word got back to the Feds and last I heard they started filtering everything they pumped in on the next replenishment...No more goodies to fight over now...

I had a fairly good late summer treasure hunting at the ocean and I did have one local tell me as he was passing by that they were going to ban me from the beach. Still trying to figure out who "they are".......
Most of the other locals were very friendly, along with the out of siders vacationing.

And if he happens to read this, I will be back next summer to dig more of your gold.......:skullflag:
I was jealous of all those gold finds you were making and I live in another state. :laughing7:
 
I have not had any issues with Othe MDers on the stretch on NJ beach I hunt (on season). Most have been quite pleasant and helpful. If they get to a spot first, I say hello, go around and continue on.

Except for one old codger who leaves a trail of gopher holes in his wake. When I cross his holes, I fill them. If they stop allowing MDing on that beach, it will be because of him.
Yeah, when I see someone detecting toward me I make sure Im not in their line and change mine to give them a wide berth...they either give me a wave or come over to talk...may be why I haven't had a bad experience yet...beaches I hunt are huge so that might be some of the reason too.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom