billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing desapooh's listing and his trading, here's what happened to me last Sunday afternoon... I put a Quarter in the picture to show the scale of some of the Sterling.

Sunday afternoon, I was visiting a flea market vendor that collects Fishing stuff and Sterling Silver. While not out for public view and sale, he showed me some heavy pierced serving pieces along with one knife and several spoons and forks. The company stamp is: "Lunt Sterling". The vendor said he had $100.00 in the silverware lot....but wanted $150.00!

Collecting Fishing lures, reels, and rods over the last 11 months, all were well used and had worn zones on the reel tops and scratches on the lures.

I'd collected two red Ambassador reels stamped in the late 1970's (one with the leather case), one green Ambassador reel stamped 72, a LLANO plastic lure box with a dozen lures, worms, and a newer red Ambassador stamped 02. Also, had two oval labeled Ted Williams/Sears Roebuck round tube rod carriers with a labeled Ted Williams rods. All totaled, I had $65 in the whole collection.

After he pulled out a bright yellow plastic bag and I saw the silverware, I drove home and returned with the "FISHING STUFF". He looked over the reels and lures and said, "I believe there is a Troy Pound of Sterling here. I'll trade you even."

I thought the weight of the pieces felt a bit more than what he estimated, so I agreed. When I got home, I had to weigh the larger pieces by themselves. All totaled, all of them totaled 654.46 grams of Sterling: In the end, it actually came out: 1.34 Troy Pounds of refined pure silver... That makes one Troy ounce of 99.9 silver cost about $3.35....

Even if silver keeps falling, I can still get my money back....:tongue3:

Bill

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    970.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
I'm no flatware expert butsome of the most common sterling pattern serving pieces can sell for double+ scrap value. I think what you have is "Modern Victorian", and I can't find examples of the serving pieces on ebay, current or completed. I'd put them up starting at scrap + 25% and see what happens. Especially now with silver so cheap, I'd consider the scrap dealer - even the best ones - a last resort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back