What's new

Tusk or bone???

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
966
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this in coastal Virginia. It was in the side of a cliff 25ft tall. I dug it out at the bottom of the cliff mabe 2ft up the cliff bank. Before I cleaned it I was sure it was a tusk cause of how round it was and it's length taking in mind that when I dug it the tip was deteriorated so bad there was nothing left to it other then the shape & stain in the clay showing how much longer it really was. Now that I've started cleaning it up some it has a look of what I would think bone would look like. So can ivory take on this look or is it bone? Thanks for the help! IMG_20171105_151219077.webpIMG_20171105_151232325.webpIMG_20171105_154054095.webpIMG_20171106_162944435~2.webpIMG_20171106_163156977.webp

Sent from my XT1650 using TreasureNet.com mobile app
 
That is absolutely a tusk. Looks like a mastodon! That's amazing. Be sure to clean and preserve it well.
 
Thanks for the help Ninjafossil,I've dug alot of old things bones & fossils included. Just how it came out looking structure wise seem like bone to me. But never dug one of them before. I've read only 2 others have been dug in VA. east of the blue ridge so that's cool. I'm still in the process of cleaning it. Just found it this past Sunday. What or how would you go about preserving it?As for now I am keeping it sumerged in water.


Sent from my XT1650 using TreasureNet.com mobile app
 
Paleobond is the best paleo glue on the market.
Our Products
 
WOW! I only have partial tusks, that looks amazing. Paleobond is good stuff
 
Timekiller, one sure way you can determine if it is tusk is to look at the big end. You want to see the end grain and all tusks have a cross hatch pattern to it..!even broken pieces will show it. I will see if I can upload a photo of one of my pieces to show you what I mean.
IMG_2694.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom