Two days after finding 1804 1/2 Cent, I find 1803 Draped Bust LG cent + buttons

DiggityDiggity

Sep 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can imagine, after finding the 1/2 cent all I could think about was returning to the farm. I had 2 hours to spare before a storm was blowing in. .. within a couple yards from the 1/2 cent I get a super faint high tone on my AT Pro. It was so faint, it didn't even show the number. I decided to dig it anyways and out pops an 1803 Draped Bust LG cent about 6 inches in the ground!!!

55.jpg 77.jpg 66.jpg

It seems like every time I go out, I keep hitting an "oldest coin to date" PR. I've been so lucky the past couple days...

I also found these two buttons...
The first is about the size of a silver dollar with a cool starburst design on it.
11.jpg 22.jpg

This one is pretty beat up but I believe it's pewter. Looks like there's a design on it.. I'll have to take a toothbrush to it soon...
33.jpg 44.jpg

UPDATE: I went out for another hour before sundown...within 20 minutes I pulled another LG Cent. So happy!

1800 Draped Bust
20190808_213027.jpg 20190808_212919.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 34

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what's so cool about this hobby you never know what your going to find and when you find a good spot every signal is like a 5 year old opening the biggest present under the tree with your name on it lol You earned those great finds hope theres lots more my friend and a gold coin too. Tommy

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeez Louise!! You have one heck of a honey hole there. I also have to say that the 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent is awesome but the 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent may be even more awesome as from appearances it may be the "Large Date, Small Fraction" Variety which is extremely rare and valuable with approximately only 75 known. I could be wrong about the Variety but here is keeping my' fingers crossed for you. The 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent isn't shabby in the value department either. At this rate, you may soon acquire enough rare Half and Large Cents to send in to PCGS or NGC on a package deal and get them all conserved, certified, graded, slabbed and the Varieties attributed on the holder's label. Let's just say that if you are looking to upgrade on your' metal detector, you just need to choose what you want and how many. I think a Banner Vote is justified but I will hold off until better pics of the 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent are posted and there are more confirmations on the Variety.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeez Louise!! You have one heck of a honey hole there. I also have to say that the 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent is awesome but the 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent may be even more awesome as from appearances it may be the "Large Date, Small Fraction" Variety which is extremely rare and valuable with approximately only 75 known. I could be wrong about the Variety but here is keeping my' fingers crossed for you. The 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent isn't shabby in the value department either. At this rate, you may soon acquire enough rare Half and Large Cents to send in to PCGS or NGC on a package deal and get them all conserved, certified, graded, slabbed and the Varieties attributed on the holder's label. Let's just say that if you are looking to upgrade on your' metal detector, you just need to choose what you want and how many. I think a Banner Vote is justified but I will hold off until better pics of the 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent are posted and there are more confirmations on the Variety.

After viewing the pics of the 1803 Draped Bust Large Cent again, I am now pretty sure that it is a "Small Date, Small Fraction" Variety which is not as rare as the "Large Date, Small Fraction" Variety but is still worth a fair amount. While the coin is a dug coin, with careful conservation it could get a Fine grade or Fine Details designation. Likewise, the 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent could possibly get a Very Fine grade or Very Fine Details designation.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow the Draped Busts just keep getting better! Amazing finds. I only dream of finding one as nice as either that you have there! Hey I'm surprised that the coin gave no numbers at 6 inches. Maybe it was on edge. I have an AT Max and I would hope it would give me a number at that depth but who knows what ground conditions might have been going on there.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow those are some nice old coppers. Hope you can find a couple more. :icon_thumright:

And just like you stated, dig those faint signals because chances are good they are the older coins you seek.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you pulling these large cents from!? The US Mint???

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff. Be very careful with the pewter button. That is an American style shank and sometimes those are from the revolution.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding old coppers, congrats! :occasion14:

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to put your find in perspective ....
Jefferson appointed*Meriwether Lewis*and*William Clark*to be leaders of the*Corps of Discovery*(1803–1806).

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow amazing finds, I was kidding when I said find the 1804 silver dollar, but with what you are finding maybe it is there?

Awesome spot, I'd definitely be hitting that over and over again.

Keep em coming - great stuff

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The faint, clean, high-pitched tones with no readings on the screen are exactly the hits I hope for on my AT Pro. Those are some awesome finds. Any large coppers I find usually are slick or disintegrate. You have some great and productive soil there. Good luck and happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread