Two detectors, questions...

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
This morning I have acquired two metal detectors. They have been sitting in a closet for at least four years with no use.

The first one I will mention is White's Classic IDX. The batteries were left in the pack and had leaked. I don't see any corrosion in the detector box but the battery holder is fairly corroded on a couple of the contacts. Is it ok to clean the contacts or would I be better off to get a new battery pack?

The other is a White's Coinmaster 6000 / Di. There are no batteries or even anything that looks like a holder for batteries I suppose slides into the battery compartment? Just a couple of contacts in there. Do they still furnish parts for this old detector?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Willy

Hit the contacts with some fine sandpaper and they'll most likely be fine. As for the 6000Di, I believe that it uses the 6 C cell battery pack, which you can probably still get from white's or a dealer. ..Willy.

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
Thanks Willy, I found the online dealer and part # for the items. If these work, it's not a bad price to pay for two metal detectors since they were free! My brother had some back surgery and is not able to use them any more. Well, he and his wife only used them a few times when the lake they lived by was drawn down. Not even a scratch on the coils ;D

K

Kentucky Kache

I know the White's Classics are quality machines. Definitely can't beat that price.

OP
OP
ArkieGold

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800
I was just noticing this Classic IDX says IDX on the display but SL on the box. It also has no depth indicator??? Weird.

White's website contact page referred me to a dealer in Tulsa for the battery holder on the 6000/Di, $7.95 + Shipping.

Something confusing me is the owners manual downloads from White's website. Lots of different 6000/Di models but how do I know which one mine is? Side of the box says "Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional Series Metal Detector". That's it.

Also it has a big coil. Seems awkward but it ought to hit deep. Nearly 11" diameter. Is that standard for this model?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the 9.5 in is stock, the idx not sure, i know the id's came with an 8 and the idx pro with the 9.5, and they dont have a depth meter but a very good machine for trashy sites, and if the mods are done,[surfscanners] then they have gb and threshold adjustments

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
Everything is correct on the IDX. It has a standard 9.5 coil. The SL is for slim line, the newer style of Classics. After Bill's mods there is no difference between a IDX and IDX Pro. In stock form the Pro is a little more sensitive and therefore a little deeper. The mods do make the detector deeper and more versatile. Rob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread