two hammered coins today!!! BETTER PICS!

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Attachments

• sunday 14 002-1.JPG
    sunday 14 002-1.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 661
  • sunday 14 004.JPG
    sunday 14 004.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 653
  • sunday 14 009.JPG
    sunday 14 009.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 643
  • sunday 14 011.JPG
    sunday 14 011.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 656
  • sunday 14 012.JPG
    sunday 14 012.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 648
  • sunday 14 014.JPG
    sunday 14 014.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 640
  • better pics 001.JPG
    better pics 001.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 432
  • better pics 002.JPG
    better pics 002.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 426
  • mess 004.JPG
    mess 004.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 432
  • mess 005.JPG
    mess 005.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 421
Upvote 0

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
What do you think those lead seals were for?

Also, respectfully, and for the less knowlegeable, I can't tell a farthing from a tuppence from a quid. I read the conversations between you and others but don't always get which coins or artifacts you refer to. Is there a way you can tag the photos some, just for ease for the ignorant...like me!?! ??? I really would appreciate it because I do enjoy seeing what you guys dig, and as an archy-type, I get mesmorized by the great finds. Keep 'em coming and keep making me green (I'm about British racing green right now)! :blob10:

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
DMN said:

Also, respectfully, and for the less knowlegeable, I can't tell a farthing from a tuppence from a quid. I read the conversations between you and others but don't always get which coins or artifacts you refer to. Is there a way you can tag the photos some, just for ease for the --deleted--...like me!?! ??? I really would appreciate it because I do enjoy seeing what you guys dig, and as an archy-type, I get mesmorized by the great finds. Keep 'em coming and keep making me green (I'm about British racing green right now)! :blob10:

The lead tokens were given to farm workers as payment which they could swap for goods in certain places!

As for tagging the pics, i will remember next time :icon_thumleft:

i wouldn't know how to go back and do it now :-\

i can see how the pics are confusing though!

thanks for the reply and i'm glad i can make you green :laughing9:

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
One for you, one to pay the VAT? :laughing9:

thanks IP, i was having a good day :D

i need to find a few more yet to cover that bill :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:

No, I meant to pay the vat on the first coin, or do they actually let you have that for free. :D

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:

No, I meant to pay the vat on the first coin, or do they actually let you have that for free. :D

i'm not sure if they can tax you on the value of your finds :icon_scratch:

i'm sure they'll think of something though, our MPs don't come cheap >:(

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Also, respectfully, and for the less knowlegeable, I can't tell a farthing from a tuppence from a quid. I read the conversations between you and others but don't always get which coins or artifacts you refer to. Is there a way you can tag the photos some, just for ease for the --deleted--...like me!?! I really would appreciate it because I do enjoy seeing what you guys dig, and as an archy-type, I get mesmorized by the great finds. Keep 'em coming and keep making me green (I'm about British racing green right now)!

The lead tokens were given to farm workers as payment which they could swap for goods in certain places!

As for tagging the pics, i will remember next time

i wouldn't know how to go back and do it now

i can see how the pics are confusing though!

thanks for the reply and i'm glad i can make you green

Shaun: Thanks for accomodating. I can figure out many of the items but not all the coins. You Crusader and Silver Surfer (and Robfinds) all have a tremendous command of the coins. I can barely make out what some of them are! I'll get better so long as I keep watching your posts (and the others too)!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
Also, respectfully, and for the less knowledgeable, I can't tell a farthing from a tuppence from a quid. I read the conversations between you and others but don't always get which coins or artifacts you refer to. Is there a way you can tag the photos some, just for ease for the --deleted--...like me!?! ??? I really would appreciate it because I do enjoy seeing what you guys dig, and as an archy-type, I get mesmerized by the great finds. Keep 'em coming and keep making me green (I'm about British racing green right now)! :blob10:
To be more exact, Shaun found lead tokens. During some periods in the English history (and other European lands, and maybe also in the USA) there were too few coins; there were silver coins, but no smaller bronze coins to make change with, or not enough of them. Local merchants (especially pubs and such) made tokens to give as change, they could be exchanged for goods (for example drinks) at the store or pub. Most tokens were made from lead, but there are many copper/bronze ones around also. They were harder to forge I guess, and of a later period.

If you want to see a lot of lead tokens look here
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=88
And if someone REALLY wants to get into them look here
http://www.mernick.org.uk/leadtokens/

But there are lead seals also, they were mostly made in two connecting parts, which were sealed with a special press together, so sealed together. Most were used to identify and insure a buyer that he has bought the correct article, regarding material and quality. They were put on the ends of rolls of cloth, used to seal bags containing merchandise, and generally used for that purpose. Some of the lead tokens look like lead seals, but the tokens are just mostly one sided pieces of lead the size of coins.

You can see them at
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=131

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
WOODY50 said:
DMN said:
Also, respectfully, and for the less knowledgeable, I can't tell a farthing from a tuppence from a quid. I read the conversations between you and others but don't always get which coins or artifacts you refer to. Is there a way you can tag the photos some, just for ease for the --deleted--...like me!?! ??? I really would appreciate it because I do enjoy seeing what you guys dig, and as an archy-type, I get mesmerized by the great finds. Keep 'em coming and keep making me green (I'm about British racing green right now)! :blob10:
To be more exact, Shaun found lead tokens. During some periods in the English history (and other European lands, and maybe also in the USA) there were too few coins; there were silver coins, but no smaller bronze coins to make change with, or not enough of them. Local merchants (especially pubs and such) made tokens to give as change, they could be exchanged for goods (for example drinks) at the store or pub. Most tokens were made from lead, but there are many copper/bronze ones around also. They were harder to forge I guess, and of a later period.

If you want to see a lot of lead tokens look here
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=88
And if someone REALLY wants to get into them look here
http://www.mernick.org.uk/leadtokens/

But there are lead seals also, they were mostly made in two connecting parts, which were sealed with a special press together, so sealed together. Most were used to identify and insure a buyer that he has bought the correct article, regarding material and quality. They were put on the ends of rolls of cloth, used to seal bags containing merchandise, and generally used for that purpose. Some of the lead tokens look like lead seals, but the tokens are just mostly one sided pieces of lead the size of coins.

You can see them at
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=131

Thanks Woody, that explains it a bit better :thumbsup:

DMN, i don't know that much about the coins but i'm learning! I know what is roman, what is medieval and what is modern, but i rely
on crusader for i'd in the field!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions