Two hammered half cuts and a Henry VII penny

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
I normally hunt pasture. I think most detectorists here in England prefer arable as the plough tends to bring things up from the depths however I prefer old pasture as generally its easier to gauge whats modern and what may be old by the depth where as you may find ancient coins in ploughed fields practically on the surface.
I had little choice today though, arrived at my permission only to find the grass has grown to long to swing a coil in and so only rhe stubble was a viable option to hunt.
And im pretty pleased with my time in there too. Started with a couple of lead weights. Impossible to actually date but a sign of activity. Then a lead seal matrix. Disappointed there is no name on it though just a blank but medieval so were in the right ball park.
Then came a first for me, do correct me anybody if im wrong but a Henry VII penny. Late 15th century. Nice.
I managed two more hammered half cuts.
I have no idea whqt they are but im guessing the short cross is Scottish?
Ill get an ID tomorrow. Unless we have an expert happening to chance by who will do it in the meantime. Thanks amd happy hunting all.

Attachments

• HcIV.jpg
    HcIV.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 71
  • HcIII.jpg
    HcIII.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 38
  • HcII.jpg
    HcII.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 33
  • HcI.jpg
    HcI.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 34
  • H74.jpg
    H74.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 37
  • H73.jpg
    H73.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 31

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I normally hunt pasture. I think most detectorists here in England prefer arable as the plough tends to bring things up from the depths however I prefer old pasture as generally its easier to gauge whats modern and what may be old by the depth where as you may find ancient coins in ploughed fields practically on the surface.
I had little choice today though, arrived at my permission only to find the grass has grown to long to swing a coil in and so only rhe stubble was a viable option to hunt.
And im pretty pleased with my time in there too. Started with a couple of lead weights. Impossible to actually date but a sign of activity. Then a lead seal matrix. Disappointed there is no name on it though just a blank but medieval so were in the right ball park.
Then came a first for me, do correct me anybody if im wrong but a Henry VII penny. Late 15th century. Nice.
Ill get an ID tomorrow. Unless we have an expert happening to chance by who will do it in the meantime. Thanks amd happy hunting all.
Can't tell as the photos aren't clear enough to tell.
But congrats on the hammered.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Great group of finds!
The cut half with the stars instead of the pips is Scottish and the whole (but looks slightly clipped) could very well be a Henry Vll sovereign penny.
The world of hammered coins is so vast that my limited knowledge is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to identifying those lovely medieval things.
But we aren't going to learn about them more if you dont post them up so keep them coming !

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesomeness!!! Congrats!!!

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 800, Manticore
Great story, INCREDIBLE finds, but I'm sorry to say your photos are a bit of a disappointment. They are super tiny, hard to see. I'd love to see the king John both sides up close.

OP
OP
Urien of Rheged

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Great story, INCREDIBLE finds, but I'm sorry to say your photos are a bit of a disappointment. They are super tiny, hard to see. I'd love to see the king John both sides up close.
Apologies. These are a.little bit better but im struggling with my phone camera rigjt now.

Attachments

• HcIV.jpg
    HcIV.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 6
  • HcIII.jpg
    HcIII.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 4
  • HcII.jpg
    HcII.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 4
  • HcI.jpg
    HcI.jpg