Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After work I headed to an area where I have found some stuff in the past,the last time I was in this area I found some nice coins and some musket balls. The grass had grown about eight inches in two weeks and could not even swing the coil so I walked up to a field that had not been planted yet and started swinging my coil.Lots of iron signals but nothing good. I noticed an old man watching me and I walked over and started talking to him.He seemed very kind and also instrated in detecting but the only problem was he did not speak English and I do not speak much German.The only thing I understood was something about 60 years ago ,and I heard the Germans and the French and he was pointing but I could not understand what he was trying to say so after a few minutes he waved bye and walked away. The thing is I think he was trying to give me a treasure lead but we could not communicate. O well,I started hunting again after waving bye to the nice old man and finally got a signal that did not read Iron. I dug and at about four inches I pulled out a 1950 Pfennig which is a common coin but I was happy to dig something worth while. I think I am going to have to take some German language classes because this is about the third time someone was trying to tell me something and I did not have a clue. I have a new camera coming and should have it Friday so I can start putting some decent pictures up.HH

Upvote 0
Hey Birdman,Hope you get better at the German,I can see that it can be a downfall with the hobby.After I learned to order a beer and some grub I kind of stoped at that.My landlord could not communicate with me untill it came rent time and then she spoke perfect english ;D. I still have the 1/2 Pfennig that I kept in my wallet when at the guest house for the Pfennig check back in the 70's. Does that still happen? Someone calls out Pfennig check and if you did not have one you bought a round. Hope to see more post from that side of the pond.HH

guys if someone needs some german lessons i m ur man :-)
@jarman: we dont ve pfennige anymore in germany :-) only new shiny euro coins :-)
@birdman: ur right the pfennige from 1950 are very commen. whenever you find vintage 49 or 48 u got something great
regards
sebastian

LOL!!! I figured you would run into that, sorry to hear, and he probably was giving you a tip. Most people that I talk to while detecting usually have some positive info for me. Have only had a few try to sharp shoot me or get a little on the negative side but I shut them down easy enough, I know the laws, the history and even the legends of the area better than most people that have lived here all their lives. Look forward to the pics. HH, Mike

So far I have had no problem,just some strange looks now and then. I figured that coin was pretty common because I have found three from 1950 and some from the eighty's. It don't matter its always exciting to see a coin fall out of the dirt. I think some German Language classes will be starting soon I think I might have to dive in there , heck ,my wife says I can't even speak English.LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back