What's new

Two Large Cents stamped with CSA 1861, are they something from Civil War?

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
1,360
Reaction score
420
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, thanks for reading. I actually found both these coins on Ebay. I noticed the coins had been stamped with CSA 1861 on the back of the coin. The one large cent is dated 1855 and the other is to badly worn. Thinking the CSA meant Confederate States of America I immediately made the bid. The seller stated he had found them in a old stone tool shed in Virginia. I also noticed a bunch of punch marks on the head side of the coin. Any help would be appreciated. I would have loved to have found these metal detecting.
 

Attachments

  • CSA1.webp
    CSA1.webp
    17.2 KB · Views: 696
  • CSA2.webp
    CSA2.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 670
If possible I would leave feedback reflecting the authenticity of the stamping. :dontknow:
I hate fakers on flea bay.
HH
TnMtns
 
Upvote 0
RiverRat3 said:
Below is what I copied and pasted from the actual Ebay listing. The description is what sold me.....

"These are from a family member, they were found in an old tool shed in Charlottsville, Va. (Dice St.) some time ago. One is dated 1855 and looks like it was used for target practice by someone. The other is very worn but I see part of "America" on one side and I think it is a large cent also (but no date). They are stamped "CSA 1861", the letters and numbers look almost identical to me - the 1855 coins stamping looks rather jumbled. I have no idea if these have any value or not, if anyone knows any history about them I would love to know it."

Thanks to everyone for reading and posting their comments...

Sounds like the seller was honest in they did not know what they were worth and did not claim them to be authentic. At $10 no great loss.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom