Two Markers on a Tree

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Attached is a picture of two markers on a tree. The marks are about five feet above the ground on a dead tree that is about two feet in diameter. The tree has been dead for a good fifty years or better. The tree has broken off several feet above these marks, probably by wind or lightening.

The tree is located on what appears to be a Royal Trail for those of you familiar with the term. There is a spring about twenty yards up the trail and would be a good camping area.

There are a lot of stories written about old Spanish mines in the area, but most of them have been covered over. I have found a number of them, but this tree has always had these intriguing marks that I haven't deciphered.

Ecominer

WoodyGA

Greenie
Jun 4, 2003
North Georgia USA
Not sure if it means anything or not but the bottom symbol matches a symbol for treasure buried in box or chest, or 180 degrees, or straight down. Another reference shows it as a symbol for a mine.

The top mark if it is simply a slash mark I would expect to mean distance of one vara but normally it would be underneath the other symbol.

Look closely in the same area for any other markers that might help decide if these two have any other meanings.

B

BILL 1876

I don't know if this tree is near a trail that you know of however a single blaze such as the lower one in your photo can also mean THIS IS THE TRAIL. I agree with WOODYGA, it appears the top blaze has a small heart carved in it. This could mean THIS IS THE TRAIL travel in the direction of the smaller blaze. And then you know the hearts meaning.
Good luck..hope it helps....Bill1876

B

BILL 1876

Sorry Ecominer, when I first pulled up your post I didn't see all the text. So this is next to a trail..and since you mention a possible camp site is not far then this could indicate CAMP SITE AHEAD. This was sometimes done with a single blaze on say the front of a tree and then a blaze cut on one side or the other to indicate camp to left or camp to right. In this case it could mean camp site straight ahead...again...good luck

bhelk

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2004
Be careful of marks on trees.......I am a surveyor in SD and throughout the US it is common to blaze trees and use hash marks (about chest high) through wooded areas to mark section lines. These marks can be fresh or as old as the late 1800's............older marks may be overgrown....but still visable.

Virgil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread